[OWTGXP] Incentives for building exp-groups

Forum for everything else
Der_Eisbaer
Eagle Knight

Postby Der_Eisbaer » Jan 18, 2018 18:10

Thank you Genjiro for encouraging us to publish our XP-ideas in an ordered way. :)

Here are mine:

1) Remove the increase of xp-CAP per group member; instead implement a direct xp-bonus per group member; make the bonus increase progressively not linearly; make the bonus values SIMPLE so everybody can easily understand them, for example:

3 group members: 1% grp bonus XP
4 group members: 2% grp bonus XP
5 group members: 5% grp bonus XP
6 group members: 10% grp bonus XP
7 group members: 20% grp bonus XP
8 group members: 50% grp bonus XP

This way people are much more likely to completely fill the group even with not group-optimal chars like Assassins etc.

2) Heavily hinder powerleveling by limiting the level difference between the highest level player and the lowest level player to 8.

Hereby I mean the every player whose level is more than 8 levels below the level of the highest level player will not receive any XP at all. All other players will receive XP as before.

3) Make travel faster and more comfortable

This is very crucial because sitting on horseback robs people a considerable amount of their playtime and will thus on a regular basis will make them unwilling to join a grp.

Making travel faster and more comfortable will do a lot for the player's flexibility and thus increase the building of xp groups.

I certainly disagree with everybody who wants to implement simple teleporting because I indeed do believe that this is cheep and not within the experienced classic DAoC.

So for me teleporters are a no-go but I have another idea to make travel faster and more comfortable:

- Make every horse route available from every other horse route

- Make riding cost 1 silver "per hop", whereby I mean the horse merchants that you pass along the road (example: Riding from Drium Ligen to Howth you pass the horse merchants in Ardee, Mag Mell, Tir na mBeo and Ardagh -> 4 hops)

- In addition to that implement two more mounts:
a) a horse thats costs 10 silver per hop and which goes twice as fast as the normal horse speed (and whose model should be unique in every realm!)
b) one flying mount that costs 1 gold per hop which goes five times as fast as the normal horse speed (and whose model should be unique in every realm!)

4) Two minor QOL changes that will go a long way in increasing the comfort in XPing while being entirly within the scope of experienced classic DAoC:

- reimplement tinderboxes; seriosly, I entirely fail to understand why these cannot be in the game

- make a bindstone in each of the Epic Zone villages (Innis Carthaig / Yarley Farm / Mid I dont know)

Thirian24
Warder

Postby Thirian24 » Jan 18, 2018 18:21

Those are some awesome ideas.

One thing I've noticed in my xp groups so far, is how easily a group will break up because people really need to train or sell because their bags are completely full. I know some people would say don't worry about selling, but when lvling, coin is much needed. So being able to travel faster to do these things, may keep groups together who would otherwise split up because of long travel times to sell/train.
Rerik - 50 Cabalist
Kirer - 48 Cleric
Thirian - 50 Armsman

megatron
Gryphon Knight

Postby megatron » Jan 18, 2018 18:35

I dislike all of these but the "Hinder power level"... .Like,... who is asking to make leveling harder?... dude.. not everyone wants to be in a full group... I like solo and duo leveling. Not to mention... if my guild has a PL group going I want everyone to be able to participate not just the folks who have the perfect level character available. Rethink.

YOLKD
Gryphon Knight

Postby YOLKD » Jan 18, 2018 18:57

Make rvr epic mobs, with difficulty dependent on current realm level 50 population, give half a level per kill NOT dependent on player level OR ZERG SIZE(ie each player in zerg gets half a level per mob kill). Put 1 mob in each of the realms main rvr zones OG/EMAIN/HW. Spawn the mobs twice a day during each of the primetimes, 20:00 CEST/10:00 PM est.
Koochi made the beta quit.

Zarkor
Unicorn Knight

Postby Zarkor » Jan 18, 2018 18:58

PLing does not need to be hindered. The rest of the proposed changes are viable.

I would add being able to stack pots (nine is fine.. :roll:) and removing the -50% mana reg penalty.
In defense of truth-to-experience.

Genjiro
Developer
Developer

Postby Genjiro » Jan 18, 2018 21:42

Please try to limit one thread to one design.
It will make discussing it more accessible to participants.

Also, reducing "traveling time" is not exactly an OWTGXP design.
Traveling is a necessity regardless what you do in the game.

The same goes for any QOL idea that simply supports the current way of leveling
like grinding, questing or tasking.
News || Getting Started || Rules || Issue Tracker
Coloured text represents my personal opinion and is not associated with Uthgard Staff nor is it an official statement.

Ebbie
Myrmidon

Postby Ebbie » Jan 18, 2018 23:25

Der_Eisbaer wrote:
1) Remove the increase of xp-CAP per group member; instead implement a direct xp-bonus per group member; make the bonus increase progressively not linearly; make the bonus values SIMPLE so everybody can easily understand them, for example:

3 group members: 1% grp bonus XP
4 group members: 2% grp bonus XP
5 group members: 5% grp bonus XP
6 group members: 10% grp bonus XP
7 group members: 20% grp bonus XP
8 group members: 50% grp bonus XP

This way people are much more likely to completely fill the group even with not group-optimal chars like Assassins etc.

2) Heavily hinder powerleveling by limiting the level difference between the highest level player and the lowest level player to 8.

Hereby I mean the every player whose level is more than 8 levels below the level of the highest level player will not receive any XP at all. All other players will receive XP as before.

I feel like idea #1 and a modified idea #2 go hand in hand, or more appropriately idea #2 is a means to mitigate idea #1 so that is not detrimental to the spirit of the server.

Here is how I imagine implementing idea #1 would go:

[LFG] Soandso (lvl 50 PL class) : LFM 5/8 at location X, need 3 more for max XP, any one welcome!

This sounds great, more people getting invited to groups for xp regardless of class/spec/etc . However what will likely happen is higher level groups adding low level players to obtain the group bonus potentially causing a lack of players in lower level content. To me this essentially has the same impact as a /level 20 command which staff has already said is a not going to happen as it removes players from content.

Adding a modified form of Idea #2 keeps the group bonus idea intact, which I do think is a great way to encourage grouping and better xp in general, also while keeping players involved in all levels of content.

I feel like the con system could be used to determine how far apart the highest level in group would be from the lowest and still allow xp gain from the group bonus. Example, a group with a lvl 50 player could group with a green con player to the 50 and all would gain xp and the bonus. A grey con player to the 50 would either not get xp at all, and or the bonus no longer applies and the existing xp system would apply.

Secos
Warder

Postby Secos » Jan 19, 2018 02:27

I like the flat xp bonus for groups with a focus on groups with 4-8 members. This would be rewarding and steering the community based behaviors that we want to see.

Tree
Eagle Knight

Postby Tree » Jan 19, 2018 07:03

There was never any need for buffs to group XP. If you are able to find the right classes and have the right spot to farm on for several hours you will get great XP and level up to 50 fairly easily. However further buffs will not result in more people lfg or cut the time to build a working fast pulling group.
We loose players that dont have the time, luck, hour of the day or 3+ hours in one go to benefit from group XP. We loose players that try to play maybe 2 hours in the evening and realize with solo XP they hit a brick wall, play a group unfriendly class that wont get grouped regularly or have to take 1 hour of their 2 hours playtime daily with searching for a group and travelling to it.

What we need is either a flat XP boost, an increase to cap XP, espacially when killing yellow upwards, or a daily XP bonus (e.g. +100% XP for the first 10 bubbles you do each day), so logging in with limited amount of time daily will still make you feel decent progress.
Tree - Animist Lvl 50 (RR 3L0, Legendary Tailor)
Aeomelia - Enchanter Lvl 50
Guild: SCHWERT & ROSE (provisional guild leader)

[HIB] Crafting Mat Wholesale
Diamond, Wyvernskin, Nightshade, Eldritch etc. huge quantities below vendor price - pm me!

Liah
Myrmidon

Postby Liah » Jan 20, 2018 00:55

OWTGXP

someone pls translate for me :/
Khadafi: You guys are getting schooled by Liah
Khadafi: Get your skills up
Kunta: School these rookies Liah

Gnome
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Gnome » Jan 20, 2018 01:32

Liah wrote:OWTGXP

someone pls translate for me :/

"Other Ways to Gain Experience"

I had to ask myself when I saw the flood of custom proposals lately. 8O

Tankqull
Gryphon Knight

Postby Tankqull » Jan 20, 2018 01:44

Der_Eisbaer wrote:3) Make travel faster and more comfortable

This is very crucial because sitting on horseback robs people a considerable amount of their playtime and will thus on a regular basis will make them unwilling to join a grp.

Making travel faster and more comfortable will do a lot for the player's flexibility and thus increase the building of xp groups.

all they need to do is to offer the SI porting options as that is what they wanted to have implemented anyway.
with SI you can port from your realms HZ, capital city and your porting keep to the SI capital and from there via the portal to connla, nalliten and adribard. so all that needs to be implemented is is a porting option from your capital/porter keep/HZ to the portals in connla, nalliten and adribart. that would cut down travel times between the 2 most populated spots in all 3 realms by 80+% and would resemble an enormous QoL upgrade.

Ownnyn
Eagle Knight

Postby Ownnyn » Jan 20, 2018 06:14

Depends...when si first released it didnt bring porters with it. U still had to run all the way across the map to enter/exit si. It wasnt till later they added the insta porters to the capitals and on the si side of the porters

I tried asking the staff which version they were adding....as im not sure which patch changed it....but they didnt respond

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Zarkor
Unicorn Knight

Postby Zarkor » Jan 20, 2018 12:56

Tree wrote:A daily XP bonus (e.g. +100% XP for the first 10 bubbles you do each day), so logging in with limited amount of time daily will still make you feel decent progress.

I must admit that probably the most damaging to Uthgard's player population is the perception that casual sporadic playing hours simply do not suffice in terms of character progression.

A daily XP bonus, or an XP bonus based on the time the character has been offline might be a way to remedy this. (the longer the char has been offline, the longer its XP bonus)

I would agree that the overall ingame mechanics as they are now are not that bad if you have the time and energy to play consistently.
In defense of truth-to-experience.

Genjiro
Developer
Developer

Postby Genjiro » Jan 20, 2018 13:25

Please return to the topic, which is exceptionally 1) and 2)
A "dayli bonus" is not part of this original design and should therefore not be discussed in this thread.
News || Getting Started || Rules || Issue Tracker
Coloured text represents my personal opinion and is not associated with Uthgard Staff nor is it an official statement.

Next

Return to Offtopic Forum