[OWTGXP] Keep guard warfare

Forum for everything else
megatron
Gryphon Knight

Postby megatron » Jan 18, 2018 18:24

Make keep guards worth a lot of xp. Right now unless the keep is high level there aren't that many that spawn so there shouldn't be any fear of farming them, not to mention you are alerting the enemy to your location so any farming would be broken up by pvp. Really this is meant to help the 45+ crowd who comes out to help the keep raids with needed abilities who could be grinding otherwise. And, in keeping with the spirit of #1 .. the keep Lord should reward a hefty xp bonus when killed.

I guess at this point the main point of contention would be ... how much more. I'd say, enough to make folks hunt them out instead of sitting in one place grinding for 3 hours. Sure, the grind is available and still worth it but if you're willing to actively hunt out pve/rvr targets you should be able to progress faster.

I think the combined effect would be more Raids and eventually more players with a full toolbox of classes available to bring out for RVR and PVE.

Schrummel wrote:Still the same old fairy tale of "XP and RP for keeps attract more players to do active RvR"?

Where did I propose bringing new people into RVR... the proposal for RVR was to reward the folks who already come out to help but do not get much xp for doing so. I guess I still believe in the fairy tale where people can cohesively understand the written word.

Zarkor
Unicorn Knight

Postby Zarkor » Jan 18, 2018 19:02

I'm always in favor of incentivizing non-optimised players to participate in frontiers RvR. It was common practice back in the old days and worth emulating through careful incentivization imo.
In defense of truth-to-experience.

Torgo
Eagle Knight

Postby Torgo » Jan 18, 2018 21:09

The idea about keep guards being worth a lot more EXP is good one. Make it so in the BGs as well.

Using the "risk vs reward" formula, there is no greater risk than being in the frontier AND fighting guards at an enemy keep.

I guess the only downside is realms might be more apt to let certain keeps fall into enemy hands on purpose so the guards could be farmed...and never actually take them back.

Genjiro
Developer
Developer

Postby Genjiro » Jan 18, 2018 21:35

Please try to limit one thread to one design.
It will make discussing it more accessible to participants.
News || Getting Started || Rules || Issue Tracker
Coloured text represents my personal opinion and is not associated with Uthgard Staff nor is it an official statement.

Grahmdal
Gryphon Knight

Postby Grahmdal » Jan 18, 2018 21:40

Torgo wrote:The idea about keep guards being worth a lot more EXP is good one. Make it so in the BGs as well.

Using the "risk vs reward" formula, there is no greater risk than being in the frontier AND fighting guards at an enemy keep.

I guess the only downside is realms might be more apt to let certain keeps fall into enemy hands on purpose so the guards could be farmed...and never actually take them back.

Great point, Torgo. I think anytime you create a definite system (quest, changes, all these suggestions) people will obviously find ways to bastardize it. The simple idea of "do this until you are rewarded" drives gamers everywhere. And we all try to do it as efficiently as possible. I think things that give players more options to "what should I do tonight" are inherently good. In any MMO, it's the fun times you have while trying to do xyz.

That being said, it's only fun with a carrot being dangled in front of your face :lol:

I think making taking a keep a worthy xp alternative could be quite fun for higher level xp groups. As I recall, it was what the best of the best did back on Gaheris (aside from hand holding and singing Kum-By-Ah, of course). And it sparks action. Plus, it's a way to use what we already have running on the server to open up more gaming styles. DF group wiped, and we lost access? Cleric and Pally only have 45 mins to play...screw it...let's take Nottmore!!!
Bonz - Arran - Masticore - Rhakan

Alb Morgan le Fay: Bonzki
Hib Merlin: Grahmdal

megatron
Gryphon Knight

Postby megatron » Jan 18, 2018 21:49

Genjiro wrote:Please try to limit one thread to one design.
It will make discussing it more accessible to participants.

Can you split them up and name them appropriately? Sorry I wasn't sure if you wanted 1 per person or 1 per idea. Maybe take the rvr related comments to that one. I dont know... editing its hard to do here :p

Genjiro
Developer
Developer

Postby Genjiro » Jan 18, 2018 22:01

Made a small mistake when splitting the topic and Schrummel's post got falsely deleted.
I added a quote of the lost post to keep the discussion intact.
News || Getting Started || Rules || Issue Tracker
Coloured text represents my personal opinion and is not associated with Uthgard Staff nor is it an official statement.

megatron
Gryphon Knight

Postby megatron » Jan 19, 2018 00:02

Thanks Genjiro!

Return to Offtopic Forum