Building a new computer.

Forum for everything else
relvinian
Phoenix Knight

Postby relvinian » Mar 07, 2017 15:38

I'm thinking about building a computer to game on. The latest games, I guess.

I don't need the greatest computer or the highest resolution but something that will run most games ok.

Suppose I want to build my own computer?

Can someone give me advice at say two price points? 500 dollars and 1000 dollars for components?

I'm technical enough to build my own pc.

How big a power supply do i need? Whats a good chipset these days? What video card can get it done best bang for buck?
https://www.uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37632

Players can greatly contribute to a server if you let them.

Uthgard, still the best server. Thanks, Devs.

Nazz
Guardian

Postby Nazz » Mar 07, 2017 18:13

Now is a good time to consider the new AMD processor release (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=412876)
Has performance similar to i7 cpu's 2-3x the cost.

Budikah
Phoenix Knight

Postby Budikah » Mar 08, 2017 02:46

Smilo
Gryphon Knight

Postby Smilo » Mar 08, 2017 19:43

You should google "best gaming pc for 800 dollars".
Or check Tom's Hardware builds.
Personally i dont trust AMD cpus, they are always good... on benchmarks. :roll:

relvinian
Phoenix Knight

Postby relvinian » Mar 08, 2017 19:57

Thanks for the replies
https://www.uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37632

Players can greatly contribute to a server if you let them.

Uthgard, still the best server. Thanks, Devs.

skorpe
Warder

Postby skorpe » Mar 09, 2017 14:26

Cinnah
Warder

Postby Cinnah » Mar 10, 2017 19:04

I learned a lot from Newegg as far as price comparisons go, what pieces you need, etc. Also some good feedback from there. The first time I built my own PC, I ordered piece by piece from there for about 3 months until it was all together. When I rebuilt it, I simply dropped it off at a Frys electronics and gave them the pieces lol.

Don't buy refurbished stuff from newegg though. I've returned a laptop twice. Won't do it again.
Uthgard 2.0 Caten - Hibernia Mentalist
Guinevere - Tonden Midgard Thane
Lamorak - Rammzy Midgard Mauler
Mordred - Rammzy Albion Scout

mariad
Warder

Postby mariad » Mar 21, 2017 14:38

How much damage would one have to bear building a decent computer for freelancing activities, it needs to run various softwares.

Budikah
Phoenix Knight

Postby Budikah » Mar 23, 2017 01:35

mariad wrote:How much damage would one have to bear building a decent computer for freelancing activities, it needs to run various softwares.

What software? It really depends on that, what you are doing, and how powerful it needs to be.

If this AMD Ryzen lives up to what people say it is, it seems like a deal for exactly what you are looking for as long as the programs you use are utilizing multiple CPU cores. Most games still don't, which is why Intel has been the gamer go to for awhile.

Check out those Reddit links I posted, there is a ton of information on the sidebar of those pages.
Satanic Panic - Cleric
Budikah - Cabalist
Leader of Primordial Guild / Alliance
Primordial Discord ---> https://discord.gg/Fa85ptj

Ignito
Myrmidon

Postby Ignito » Mar 23, 2017 08:10

Help reduce the considerations by outlining what you will NOT change.

I.e.
- monitor?
- keyboard?
- mouse?
- HDD?
- DvD/Bluray drive?

Are you salvaging anything from your current (if you have one) or building all from scratch?

They add up quickly.

mariad
Warder

Postby mariad » Mar 27, 2017 08:53

Budikah wrote:
mariad wrote:How much damage would one have to bear building a decent computer for freelancing activities, it needs to run various softwares.

What software? It really depends on that, what you are doing, and how powerful it needs to be.

If this AMD Ryzen lives up to what people say it is, it seems like a deal for exactly what you are looking for as long as the programs you use are utilizing multiple CPU cores. Most games still don't, which is why Intel has been the gamer go to for awhile.

Check out those Reddit links I posted, there is a ton of information on the sidebar of those pages.

I do freelance academic writing and for that i need to use SPSS tool software for analysis. Lots n Lots of data. Need a computer specifically for this purpose.

mariad
Warder

Postby mariad » Mar 31, 2017 12:00

relvinian wrote:I'm thinking about building a computer to game on. The latest games, I guess.

I don't need the greatest computer or the highest resolution but something that will run most games ok.

Suppose I want to build my own computer?

Can someone give me advice at say two price points? 500 dollars and 1000 dollars for components?

I'm technical enough to build my own pc.

How big a power supply do i need? Whats a good chipset these days? What video card can get it done best bang for buck?

Hey, a friend of mine built a pc recently, and i got to know about it a couple of days ago.
here are the specs what he got for approx $1300 in total.

Estimated Price ($): $1300
Type: Desktop
Brand & Model: Unbranded
CPU (Processor): i7 7700k, not overclocked as yet.
Memory (RAM): Corsair 16GB
GPU (Graphics Card): Gigabyte Rx480 8GB
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z-270 A
Storage: Primary 480 GB SSD + 2 TB SATA SSHD
Case: Corsair
Power Supply: Corsair v650
Keyboard and Mouse: Corsair Gaming Keyboard + Mouse
New So this is the Desktop PC that he made 3 weeks ago for gaming+rendering purpose. He previously had i3 4th Generation and shifting to this ultimate PC is a tremendous experience according to him.

Hope you get an idea.

coreyrocchicciol53
Guardian

Postby coreyrocchicciol53 » Oct 07, 2021 20:13

Initially, building a PC is always more expensive than buying a pre-built machine. Building a PC will actually save you money in the long run, because you will likely not need to replace or repair components as often as with a pre-built.
You can read tech reviews at technumusand this is the best guider.

wachawacha
Myrmidon

Postby wachawacha » Oct 07, 2021 22:53

coreyrocchicciol53 wrote:Initially, building a PC is always more expensive than buying a pre-built machine. Building a PC will actually save you money in the long run, because you will likely not need to replace or repair components as often as with a pre-built.

If he hasn't built his computer by now, I don't think he ever will

Return to Offtopic Forum