Camelot Unchained is Starting to Look Good

Forum for everything else
pirhana7
Myrmidon

Postby pirhana7 » Feb 15, 2017 20:23

Jamoca wrote:Another Early Access game that will last 2 years? ^^"

Who said anything about an early access game? This game will be a finished product when it launches.

pirhana7
Myrmidon

Postby pirhana7 » Feb 15, 2017 20:30

I think the reality is that we all want CU to carry the DAoC torch, but I think many of us also look at it every few months and it just seems like a flop.

How many years has it been at this point? I know game development takes awhile but I think CU is taking too long to even show people the meat and potatoes of it.

I also worry it's going to be a vague shadow of DAoC, and I've heard elsewhere that DAoC 2.0 isn't the goal of CU.

So we can hope, but the realists out there are probably getting a little nervous. I've seen too many games flounder before release.

Hell, I hoped Shroud of the Avatar would be Ultima Online 2.0 and from what I gather, that game is an unmitigated dumpster fire at the moment and will probably be dead before it actually gets out the door.[/quote]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They already said many times that if they used someone elses engine they could be close to launch now but then the game would have the same problems as Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online. Look at those two games, they are using an engine that has serious problems in seige warfare when you get a bunch of player together. That is where CU will be different and why it is taking so much time. Their custom engine is not made for storyline PVE its is made for massive RVR. This is why they dont have the meat and potatoes yet, they have been building the table to hold everything perfectly

Bubbler
Gryphon Knight

Postby Bubbler » Feb 16, 2017 18:27

I haven't been following to closely recently as I have just accepted that I will be playing at launch but how is the game changing that is turning so many folks off?

I know I wasn't a huge fan of no PvE but I am willing to forgo that if the rvr systems are fun. What is making folks here not interested in this game anymore? Is it just the length of development or something else?
<Blood Feud>
Druid - Bubbler
Hero - Cramit
Enchanter - Rounder
Bard - Melody
BladeMaster - Crunch
Mentalist - Dottie

Vang86
Warder

Postby Vang86 » Feb 17, 2017 05:02

Probably it took them too long to realise that it will not be DAoC 2.
Also failed to realise that the development looks like its taking too long because CU was open about it since day one. I dont know how many are these folks, but most people that knew what the game is about and liked it are still excited. Nothing important changed really considering game mechanics to drive people off or attract new ones. Thats something that we might see when it goes into beta.

Lasastard
Phoenix Knight

Postby Lasastard » Feb 17, 2017 09:00

At this point I am not too sure this will ever see the light of day. Most of the delays are, on some level, understandable but ultimately fall back on some poor decisions in setting up the studio. Not sure how it was a surprise to them that they couldn't attract talented developers to the middle of nowhere (as fas as the tech industry is concerned).

Also worried about their engine - they have been mucking around with that thing for several years now and still have fairly basic stuff to do like animation systems and what not. At this point I think they would have been better off using an existing framework, because - lets be honest - whats the point of being able to have 500 people on screen at the same time? All this is going to be in terms of gameplay is a giant ****** and aoe spam fest. DAoC, WAR and GW2 all have limitations as far as player numbers in zerg battles are concerned, but I never felt that my experience was in any way limited by it. Anything more than 50 or so people on each side is plenty imho.

All we have been seeing is concept art and some stuttery footage of pre-alpha tech. And at this point that is indeed worrying.

pirhana7
Myrmidon

Postby pirhana7 » Feb 17, 2017 09:04

Bubbler wrote:I haven't been following to closely recently as I have just accepted that I will be playing at launch but how is the game changing that is turning so many folks off?

I know I wasn't a huge fan of no PvE but I am willing to forgo that if the rvr systems are fun. What is making folks here not interested in this game anymore? Is it just the length of development or something else?

Nothing chainged just people giving up on waiting is all. The game actually brings in far more backers ever week than anyone that gives up or leaves.

pirhana7
Myrmidon

Postby pirhana7 » Feb 17, 2017 09:05

Lasastard wrote:At this point I am not too sure this will ever see the light of day. Most of the delays are, on some level, understandable but ultimately fall back on some poor decisions in setting up the studio. Not sure how it was a surprise to them that they couldn't attract talented developers to the middle of nowhere (as fas as the tech industry is concerned).

Also worried about their engine - they have been mucking around with that thing for several years now and still have fairly basic stuff to do like animation systems and what not. At this point I think they would have been better off using an existing framework, because - lets be honest - whats the point of being able to have 500 people on screen at the same time? All this is going to be in terms of gameplay is a giant ****** and aoe spam fest. DAoC, WAR and GW2 all have limitations as far as player numbers in zerg battles are concerned, but I never felt that my experience was in any way limited by it. Anything more than 50 or so people on each side is plenty imho.

All we have been seeing is concept art and some stuttery footage of pre-alpha tech. And at this point that is indeed worrying.

All very true, but they did just open a 2nd studio in Seattle and hire like 6 more programmers so thing should start to pick up. Animations also started going in last week

Bubbler
Gryphon Knight

Postby Bubbler » Feb 17, 2017 16:04

pirhana7 wrote:
Bubbler wrote:I haven't been following to closely recently as I have just accepted that I will be playing at launch but how is the game changing that is turning so many folks off?

Nothing chainged just people giving up on waiting is all. The game actually brings in far more backers ever week than anyone that gives up or leaves.

Good point. With early access and crowd funding not really releasing anything great yet, I can imagine ppl are getting tired of the wait. I know I am too. Between Pantheon and CU, really nothing else worthwhile on the horizon for me, and neither of these games look like anything that will be ready by the end of the year. Guess just means more Uthgard.
<Blood Feud>
Druid - Bubbler
Hero - Cramit
Enchanter - Rounder
Bard - Melody
BladeMaster - Crunch
Mentalist - Dottie

krycek
Gryphon Knight

Postby krycek » Feb 21, 2017 04:08

I haven't been keeping up with CU much after the class reveals, which looked pretty damn cool. But reading posts here about no pve and straight to the fun stuff? Sign me up for that ******.
Krycek - Infiltrator

Vang86
Warder

Postby Vang86 » Feb 21, 2017 08:45

Well there will be some pve, just no pve progression. You ll just do it to get crafting resources or test how your skills work.

Ratheon
Warder

Postby Ratheon » Feb 23, 2017 04:27

Did you guys see the post that Live Dark Age made about how they messed up the game and they are sorry for it?
<E Pluribus Unum>
Ratheon
Skald
RR 4L4

nipitas
Warder

Postby nipitas » Feb 23, 2017 10:43

Ratheon wrote:Did you guys see the post that Live Dark Age made about how they messed up the game and they are sorry for it?

Link plz :-)

Nef Melody
Phoenix Knight

Postby Nef Melody » Feb 24, 2017 00:10

silenced wrote: It's the same with women, just because of she looks good she's by far not something for the long run.

Long enough to keep me interested until I have a new one, It's the same with games.
Nefcait : Bard
Gua : Enchanter
My Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/ReqVids/videos

Signus
Gryphon Knight

Postby Signus » Feb 24, 2017 03:44

Just length of development. It's stayed exactly true to how they said it would be, almost to a fault. People just don't understand how long it takes to make an MMO

Tree
Eagle Knight

Postby Tree » Feb 24, 2017 08:36

Playing an MMO without elaborate PVE content? Not in a hundred years. :lol:
Tree - Animist Lvl 50 (RR 3L0, Legendary Tailor)
Aeomelia - Enchanter Lvl 50
Guild: SCHWERT & ROSE (provisional guild leader)

[HIB] Crafting Mat Wholesale
Diamond, Wyvernskin, Nightshade, Eldritch etc. huge quantities below vendor price - pm me!

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic Forum