Camelot Unchained is Starting to Look Good

Forum for everything else
Lev
Gryphon Knight

Postby Lev » Jan 19, 2017 16:15

i backed CU on kickstarter.

now I don't look at it, until it's ready to release. it's just better to ignore all MMO which are on development.
when visions turn into reality, there's compromises. especially in MMO where arrays of features simply disappear during development. :D

Genghis Khan
Warder

Postby Genghis Khan » Jan 19, 2017 18:18

As an Alpha backer, the game, the idea, the concept was amazing. And then they started throwing in these insane ideas about combat. I have been sitting on the fence about asking for a refund, because the game I backed isn't the same that they are making. Mark Jacobs every once in a while would come up with these absurd outlandish ideas that would take a lot of resources to implement and complete, and it just isn't what I wanted/expected.
“The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters.”
― Genghis Khan

pirhana7
Myrmidon

Postby pirhana7 » Jan 20, 2017 19:18

Genghis Khan wrote:As an Alpha backer, the game, the idea, the concept was amazing. And then they started throwing in these insane ideas about combat. I have been sitting on the fence about asking for a refund, because the game I backed isn't the same that they are making. Mark Jacobs every once in a while would come up with these absurd outlandish ideas that would take a lot of resources to implement and complete, and it just isn't what I wanted/expected.

I agree I liked alot of things but some things now are like: really? your going to try that? I would still at least wait for beta to start and see how it feels /looks before getting a refund. One thing that keeps me happy with it is the classes and the theme of the realms.

Zetetic
Gryphon Knight

Postby Zetetic » Jan 21, 2017 02:04

I think it is rumored that Jacobs wanted to originally call it "Dark Age of Counterstrike." Okay that is just my little joke, but I think that name would have fit it perfectly. I guess there is a little more than just PvP, what with the crafting and all, but gosh, I agree with others who say it could certainly use some PvE. I like to see a balance of Leets and Carebears, and CU just doesn't really do that unfortunately. It does look nice though, I will agree to that.

Everz1
Warder

Postby Everz1 » Jan 21, 2017 19:14

CU will be nothing but a flop sadly. Jacobs got lucky with DAoC (don't forget that the third realm perspective was pure accident, Hibernia was a total after thought to buy some extra development time) and has flopped since.
Everzdaghoul RvR Necromancer.

pweet
Lion Knight

Postby pweet » Jan 22, 2017 02:31

PvE development costs a lot of money and they dont have any, so they just call it pvp only as something special because they can not pay for PvE content imo.

Sendnudes
Banned

Postby Sendnudes » Jan 22, 2017 20:23

I'm confident that if just DAoC it's self was updated / modernized that it could compete with everything currently out there.
Sendnudes - Enchanter
Sendnudes- Sorcerer (Deleted)
<Bloodsworn>

pirhana7
Myrmidon

Postby pirhana7 » Jan 23, 2017 21:03

Everz1 wrote:CU will be nothing but a flop sadly. Jacobs got lucky with DAoC (don't forget that the third realm perspective was pure accident, Hibernia was a total after thought to buy some extra development time) and has flopped since.

I don't understand this mentality.... Coming from someone who oviously likes RVR and DAOC since you are here.
I would think that a DAOC fan would be excited for another new DAOC type game to be made and want it to succeed. Something new you can look forward to and get to play. I just don't understand why you want it to flop or fail? Its one thing to be optimistic but why be against something being made for you to enjoy?

Technically it can't flop because it has already been backed by enough $ to support it for years with no new sales or subs. But thats beside the point

pirhana7
Myrmidon

Postby pirhana7 » Jan 23, 2017 21:06

pweet wrote:PvE development costs a lot of money and they dont have any, so they just call it pvp only as something special because they can not pay for PvE content imo.

Actually he said he could add PVE but that be again what type of game he wants to make. He just wants it to be about the part of DAOC after you hit level 50 and play RVR and progress that way. Thats was the prime enjoyment for "most" people in DAOC and thats what he want this whole game to be about not about the long journey to get that point. He wants the "endgame" to start for you from level 1 the moment after you create your character. This is why alot of PVP people from other games are excited for CU

Budikah
Phoenix Knight

Postby Budikah » Jan 27, 2017 04:56

pirhana7 wrote:
Everz1 wrote:CU will be nothing but a flop sadly. Jacobs got lucky with DAoC (don't forget that the third realm perspective was pure accident, Hibernia was a total after thought to buy some extra development time) and has flopped since.

I don't understand this mentality.... Coming from someone who oviously likes RVR and DAOC since you are here.
I would think that a DAOC fan would be excited for another new DAOC type game to be made and want it to succeed. Something new you can look forward to and get to play. I just don't understand why you want it to flop or fail? Its one thing to be optimistic but why be against something being made for you to enjoy?

Technically it can't flop because it has already been backed by enough $ to support it for years with no new sales or subs. But thats beside the point

Bitterness?

I think the reality is that we all want CU to carry the DAoC torch, but I think many of us also look at it every few months and it just seems like a flop.

How many years has it been at this point? I know game development takes awhile but I think CU is taking too long to even show people the meat and potatoes of it.

I also worry it's going to be a vague shadow of DAoC, and I've heard elsewhere that DAoC 2.0 isn't the goal of CU.

So we can hope, but the realists out there are probably getting a little nervous. I've seen too many games flounder before release.

Hell, I hoped Shroud of the Avatar would be Ultima Online 2.0 and from what I gather, that game is an unmitigated dumpster fire at the moment and will probably be dead before it actually gets out the door.
Satanic Panic - Cleric
Budikah - Cabalist
Leader of Primordial Guild / Alliance
Primordial Discord ---> https://discord.gg/Fa85ptj

Lucilius-
Myrmidon

Postby Lucilius- » Feb 02, 2017 22:13

Coming from an internal tester of CU - you all are in for a wonderful surprise. The engine is magnificent and allows for 1,000 + unique players in a space the size of the city of Camelot in DAoC without any performance hiccups. Not to mention that these 1,000 people were also casting spells and shooting arrows (of which these projectiles are independently tracked by the engine).

The tech structure and engine of the game is the foundation. They have spent years working on this foundation; however, they have also been spending years working on assets, animations, graphics, and other pieces of the game.

They have poured a sturdy foundation and set up the skeleton building. They are now in the process of wiring the electrical components and putting the piping in and plumbing in. Then they will be able to paint the outside of the building and work on the interior.

The interior is what we care about. The interior is easy. The foundation and integrity of the structure is the hard part.

Mark and his team have nailed it.

Mark my words - this game will shock the game industry and raise the bar back up for MMoRPGs. Be happy and excited. Fall 2018 is my projected release date. Beta 1 probably early Summer 2017.

Everz1
Warder

Postby Everz1 » Feb 04, 2017 09:45

Ahh like beta 1 in 2013. Game will fail, mark my words.
Everzdaghoul RvR Necromancer.

falscheneun
Gryphon Knight

Postby falscheneun » Feb 04, 2017 15:29

Lucilius- wrote:Coming from an internal tester of CU - you all are in for a wonderful surprise. The engine is magnificent and allows for 1,000 + unique players in a space the size of the city of Camelot in DAoC without any performance hiccups. Not to mention that these 1,000 people were also casting spells and shooting arrows (of which these projectiles are independently tracked by the engine).

The tech structure and engine of the game is the foundation. They have spent years working on this foundation; however, they have also been spending years working on assets, animations, graphics, and other pieces of the game.

They have poured a sturdy foundation and set up the skeleton building. They are now in the process of wiring the electrical components and putting the piping in and plumbing in. Then they will be able to paint the outside of the building and work on the interior.

The interior is what we care about. The interior is easy. The foundation and integrity of the structure is the hard part.

Mark and his team have nailed it.

Mark my words - this game will shock the game industry and raise the bar back up for MMoRPGs. Be happy and excited. Fall 2018 is my projected release date. Beta 1 probably early Summer 2017.

no offense but this sounds as if it was written straight from the CU office :D

Budikah
Phoenix Knight

Postby Budikah » Feb 06, 2017 01:21

My biggest fear is their biggest piece of work - their custom engine that they've designed for the game.

So many games flounder because of engine issues. If they spend all this time on it and still end up having serious issues down the line, it'll probably torpedo the entire shebang.
Satanic Panic - Cleric
Budikah - Cabalist
Leader of Primordial Guild / Alliance
Primordial Discord ---> https://discord.gg/Fa85ptj

Jamoca
Warder

Postby Jamoca » Feb 09, 2017 16:26

Another Early Access game that will last 2 years? ^^"
"Never, never, never give up"
Yurei Urahara - Infiltrator

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic Forum