Ranger with shield ?

JaggedOne
Warder

Postby JaggedOne » Aug 12, 2018 19:38

I searched these forums but didn't find anything on this.

I was wondering if a Ranger replaced his offhand weapon with a shield, what would be the percentage loss in overall DPS ? Is there any theorycrafting on this ? Also, since a Ranger normally has really high dex, how much of that DPS loss would be offset by reduced damage due to blocking ? Yes, I know that Scouts can spec shields and thus can have Slam, and Rangers can't.

Not a troll, just a thought that occurred to me....
Never ask permission when you can beg forgiveness later.

Jerrian
Phoenix Knight

Postby Jerrian » Aug 14, 2018 11:44

JaggedOne wrote:I searched these forums but didn't find anything on this.

I was wondering if a Ranger replaced his offhand weapon with a shield, what would be the percentage loss in overall DPS ? Is there any theorycrafting on this ? Also, since a Ranger normally has really high dex, how much of that DPS loss would be offset by reduced damage due to blocking ? Yes, I know that Scouts can spec shields and thus can have Slam, and Rangers can't.

Not a troll, just a thought that occurred to me....

Hmm, this topic/discussion isn ´t that rare if you might think.

Mainly Rangers with a high specc in Bow consider saving the points in dual wield for the other specc lines. The standard blockchance with a shield (that can ´t be skilled in) is 5% , with Dex modifiers it might be a bit higher.

I dunno the formula for lefthand to swing with low or less dual wield skill, but you missing also the better proc chance of the second weapon and the chance to interrupt a style or spell when equipping a shield. The chance of hitting with a lefthand should be bigger then the chance to block.

Usually the rangers prefer a second hand fast weapon for hitting, over the small chance of blocking with a shield.

Return to Ranger