Melee ranger- is it viable?

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » Dec 28, 2017 16:35

Hello! I was trying to figure out the viability of a melee ranger. I'm thinking of making a pierce luri.

Starting stats 10 str/10 con/10 dex
36 PF (7.3 DA, 34 Str, 33 D/Q, 50 AF)
36 Stealth
12 Bow (Purely AT)
41 Pierce
39 CD

The melee damage would be higher as Luri compared to Celt, since the dex bonus from pierce is very strong. This spec gives me 5s evade stun, good positional styles (copperhead+cobra's bite) and has high enough CD to reap the benefits. I'd drop stealth as I gain RR (hopefully...) but wanted to hear your thoughts. Think I could manage in this meta with such a spec?

Lazyghost
Myrmidon

Postby Lazyghost » Dec 28, 2017 19:05

make a NS...

going so dep melee gives you no benifit over a a NS and all the floors of not being a a NS...

If you want to stealth and melee go NS honstly save ur self the pain :)

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » Dec 28, 2017 19:21

Lazyghost wrote:make a NS...

going so dep melee gives you no benifit over a a NS and all the floors of not being a a NS...

If you want to stealth and melee go NS honstly save ur self the pain :)

NS doesn't get Ignore Pain, and has to AT stealth. I can respec to bow at a later point if I need to, but I'd rather the capability of doing BGs. Besides, the better armor typing draws me towards ranger. I get that they can be pretty gimp at this patch level, but it still seems like a bit of fun and much easier to template.

Tacos
Myrmidon

Postby Tacos » Dec 28, 2017 23:44

I'd go hybrid and get the best of both worlds! Ranger is my all time favorite daoc class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaytonChambers
Warder

Postby DaytonChambers » Dec 30, 2017 04:54

Rendiviel wrote:Starting stats 10 str/10 con/10 dex
36 Stealth
12 Bow (Purely AT)
41 Pierce
39 CD

Not going to try and convince you to re-think your desire to play melee, BUT...

If you do this then switch your pierce and CD numbers. CD styles have higher growth rates and you should be using them most of the time. The more points in CD the better, over 50 CD spec will continue to boost style damage.

Pierce only needs to be a composite 51, which would be 39+12 pierce at RR2.0 which is easy to achieve via BG action as you level. The composite 51 mainhand weapon spec tops out your defense penetration using the least amount of skill points, and just like stealth points they can be shaved off as you gain RRs to put into CD to boost your dps without sacrificing defense penetration.

Lastly, the 10con at char creation is mostly wasted as Rangers gain a pathetic amount of health for each point of con. Better to do 15str/10dex or 10str/15dex. Personally I did 10str/15dex as the dex benefits pierce damage as well as the recurve.

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » Dec 30, 2017 15:18

DaytonChambers wrote:
Rendiviel wrote:Starting stats 10 str/10 con/10 dex
36 Stealth
12 Bow (Purely AT)
41 Pierce
39 CD

Not going to try and convince you to re-think your desire to play melee, BUT...

If you do this then switch your pierce and CD numbers. CD styles have higher growth rates and you should be using them most of the time. The more points in CD the better, over 50 CD spec will continue to boost style damage.

Pierce only needs to be a composite 51, which would be 39+12 pierce at RR2.0 which is easy to achieve via BG action as you level. The composite 51 mainhand weapon spec tops out your defense penetration using the least amount of skill points, and just like stealth points they can be shaved off as you gain RRs to put into CD to boost your dps without sacrificing defense penetration.

Lastly, the 10con at char creation is mostly wasted as Rangers gain a pathetic amount of health for each point of con. Better to do 15str/10dex or 10str/15dex. Personally I did 10str/15dex as the dex benefits pierce damage as well as the recurve.

Good info, I'll drop the con and swap the spec points. I wasn't sure how defense penetration fully worked, but that's helpful.

Faltain
Myrmidon

Postby Faltain » Apr 23, 2018 01:10

The answer to this question in simplest terms: either make a Nightshade or don't bother. Without physical defense realm ability you're simply too squishy to go toe-to-toe with most classes in straight up melee.
Positivity - 4x Ranger
Paenon - 50 Friar (sleeping because it's non-Meta)
Simi - 50 Necro (ditto, farmbot)

Return to Ranger