Double critshots... someone help my fuzzy memory here!

Drastix
Warder

Postby Drastix » Jan 30, 2017 20:50

I remember back in the day (not sure what patch level, but it was sometime after 1.65) that Rangers could actually get 2 critshots off on a target it it wasn't moving. If I remember correctly, you had to have insanely high Qui and you had to use 1 bow down from the hardest hitting one (i.e. it was slightly faster).

I know this worked because I remember having a ranger PL'ed and doing it firsthand. But my memory is very fuzzy on the details... can anyone help me out here?

Ilerget
Phoenix Knight

Postby Ilerget » Jan 30, 2017 21:15

if the target doesn't move you can keep landing crits until he/she dies. iirc you can critshot while the target is standing, moving slowly(stealthed/strafing/walking) or casting. You cannot critshot a target engaged in melee combat.
It's the thrill of the chase
and I'm coming after you.

Drastix
Warder

Postby Drastix » Jan 30, 2017 21:17

Ilerget wrote:if the target doesn't move you can keep landing crits until he/she dies. iirc you can critshot while the target is standing, moving slowly(stealthed/strafing/walking) or casting. You cannot critshot a target engaged in melee combat.

But can't critshot only be fired from stealth?

Ilerget
Phoenix Knight

Postby Ilerget » Jan 30, 2017 21:19

you dont need to be stealthed, will be really hard because lots of times preparing critshot uncovers you
It's the thrill of the chase
and I'm coming after you.

Drastix
Warder

Postby Drastix » Jan 30, 2017 22:45

Ilerget wrote:you dont need to be stealthed, will be really hard because lots of times preparing critshot uncovers you

Ok... so what is it that I'm (mis)remembering here? Was it a way to get a 2nd critshot draw going before the 1st critshot landed, so that if they moved you could still land 2? Or something...?

Do anything of these stat requirements sound familiar? I don't remember exactly what this allowed you to do, but I remember it was very powerful and it was exclusive to Rangers and only those with very fast draw times...

Awsten
Warder

Postby Awsten » Feb 01, 2017 17:54

Original archery system meant critshot landed on slow or still targets not in combat. Preparing crit shot has a chance to uncover you from stealth based on your stealth.

What you might be remembering is being fast enough to fire 2 crits before a player target started moving, but to my knowledge it is impossible in PVE as longest distance arrow flight time is 1 sec and draw time for crit shot (min speed) is 1.8 seconds. This means a player has .8 seconds to react and start moving before 2nd arrow is in the air. Not exactly a long time but definitely doable.

Drastix
Warder

Postby Drastix » Feb 01, 2017 18:11

Awsten wrote:Original archery system meant critshot landed on slow or still targets not in combat. Preparing crit shot has a chance to uncover you from stealth based on your stealth.

What you might be remembering is being fast enough to fire 2 crits before a player target started moving, but to my knowledge it is impossible in PVE as longest distance arrow flight time is 1 sec and draw time for crit shot (min speed) is 1.8 seconds. This means a player has .8 seconds to react and start moving before 2nd arrow is in the air. Not exactly a long time but definitely doable.

Yeah I think you're right - I think this is what I was remembering.

I might try for it here just to see how it goes. I realize they'd have 0.8 secs to move, but it would be interesting to see how many AFK/Alt+Tabbed/geriatric/etc casters I could 2-shot

Lazyghost
Myrmidon

Postby Lazyghost » Feb 02, 2017 15:39

double crit shoting was fun :)

or 2 archers :) hitting same traget a good old 1 2 3 fire dead caster :)

wonder how thats going to work on here with PF for buffs. wonder how many solo casters are going to be running around with zero buff bots. but iam sure they will just use potions

Requin
Eagle Knight

Postby Requin » Jun 28, 2017 07:49

Critical Shot

Raising your bow specialization also grants you higher critical shot styles:
- Critical Shot I is obtained at the third train in bow and has a draw time of 2.0 times your normal draw time.
- Critical Shot II is obtained at the sixth train in bow and has a draw time of 1.9 times your normal draw time.
- Critical Shot III is obtained at the ninth train in bow and has a draw time of 1.8 times your normal draw time.
- Critical Shot IV is obtained at the twelfth train in bow and has a draw time of 1.7 times your normal draw time.
- Critical Shot V is obtained at the fifteenth train in bow and has a draw time of 1.6 times your normal draw time.
- Critical Shot VI is obtained at the eighteenth train in bow and has a draw time of 1.5 times your normal draw time.
- Critical Shot VII is obtained at the twenty-first train in bow and has a draw time of 1.4 times your normal draw time.
- Critical Shot VIII is obtained at the twenty-fourth train in bow and has a draw time of 1.3 times your normal draw time.
- Critical Shot IX is obtained at the twenty-seventh train in bow and has a draw time of 1.2 times your normal draw time.

The damage multiplier for critical shot is based on your level, and is determined by the difference between your level and the targets level, indicated by the target’s con. The multiplier is a maximum of 2.0 and a minimum of 1.1. As a broad generalization which does not take the continuous curve nature of this into account, critical shots will do 2.0 times normal damage to all targets that con grey, green, blue, or yellow. They will do approximately 1.7 times normal damage to high- orange targets, 1.4 times normal damage to high-red targets, and 1.1 times normal damage to purple targets.

Please note that critical shot will work against targets that are: sitting, standing still (which includes standing in combat mode but not actively swinging at something), walking, moving backwards, strafing, or casting a spell. Critical shot will not work against targets that are: running , in active combat (swinging at something), or Mezzed. Stunned targets may be critical shot once any timers from active combat have expired if they are not yet free to act; i.e.: they may not be critical shot until their weapon delay timer has run out after their last attack, they may be critical shot during the period between the weapon delay running out and the stun wearing off, and they may not be critical shot once they have begun swinging again. If the target was in melee with an archer, the critical shot may not be drawn against them until after their weapon delay has run out or it will be interrupted. This means that the scout's shield stun is much less effective against large weapon wielders (who have longer weapon delays) than against fast piercing/thrusting weapon wielders. Also note that if the target has a shield or are being guarded by someone with a shield, and the one holding the shield is facing the archer and is in combat mode (actively swinging or not), their block rate against arrows is DOUBLED. If they are using engage against you, you’ll only get past their defences about 5% of the time.
Reminder to Self: Quality over Quantity, what is the Value here?

ultraboykj
Guardian

Postby ultraboykj » Jul 06, 2017 14:28

'to my knowledge it is impossible in PVE'

It is definitely possible to double crit in PvE, however, you do need to 'cheese' the system to do it. Since your attack time is based on your previous round weapon spd, you can flip to bow after a fast blade/pierce swing and have a low crit time. It does work.

Return to Ranger