Pure melee ranger viablity?

pweet
Lion Knight

Postby pweet » Jul 05, 2016 18:30

didnt read the replies, but dont go that road, make a NS instead. much better
just charge up, self buffs are for casuals. casuals dont win 1v1 anyway 8)

morry1000
Gryphon Knight

Postby morry1000 » Jul 05, 2016 18:36

pweet wrote:didnt read the replies, but dont go that road, make a NS instead. much better
just charge up, self buffs are for casuals. casuals dont win 1v1 anyway 8)

If this was meant to be a joke then it was not very funny

Torgo
Eagle Knight

Postby Torgo » Jul 08, 2016 21:38

pirhana7 wrote:Still too early to tell how good a melee ranger will be at 50 but in the BGs I am winning against all other stealth in straight melee 3 out of 4 times. Getting the evade 5 second stun off seems to be a fight changer and 100% win. I know albs will have a better stun in the lvl 50 game.

Auto Train bow is still hurting people and killing casters. I generally get a melee class to 50% with bow and easily finish them off in melee.

So far i am really enjoying the melee Ranger.
Once i hit level 25 and got evade 3 and evade peirce stunn it made it so i could pull yellows very fast with minimal downtime.

How is it solo PvE auto training bow?

Right now my ranger is pretty much full bow/pathfinding with rest in CD spec (with crap gear) and blues are a challenge.

morry1000
Gryphon Knight

Postby morry1000 » Jul 08, 2016 22:03

The crap gear is your problem I would think, auto train bow ultimately will be just a pulling mechanism.

Not sure what the lower crit shots would perhaps do as I have not tested it.

I am sure with a crafted bow and PF damage add, 2 or 3 arrows (even on autotrain bow) will take a chunk out of a mob before it gets to you, then simply melee it down.

One thing that has been brought into sharp relief for me upon starting beta is the initial difficulty in getting started / established (this is not a criticism) and appears accurate to how I remember it being all those years ago on live when DAOC first started.

It ain't gonna be easy, but then nothing worth while generally is :grin:

peter1986
Myrmidon

Postby peter1986 » Jul 09, 2016 06:46

Torgo wrote:
pirhana7 wrote:Still too early to tell how good a melee ranger will be at 50 but in the BGs I am winning against all other stealth in straight melee 3 out of 4 times. Getting the evade 5 second stun off seems to be a fight changer and 100% win. I know albs will have a better stun in the lvl 50 game.

Auto Train bow is still hurting people and killing casters. I generally get a melee class to 50% with bow and easily finish them off in melee.

So far i am really enjoying the melee Ranger.
Once i hit level 25 and got evade 3 and evade peirce stunn it made it so i could pull yellows very fast with minimal downtime.

How is it solo PvE auto training bow?

Right now my ranger is pretty much full bow/pathfinding with rest in CD spec (with crap gear) and blues are a challenge.

Just be thankful of the buffs. I've tried all sorts of classes this beta. I realise the gear and stuff but it's standardised so all classes are the same (if ranger is better in this gear he'd be the same kind of better later on in better gear vs mobs)

So with this poor but standardised gear:

Inf just forget that solo.. die on blues barely kills greens.
Hunter is poor also but pet is kind of like a dmg add.
NS again poor but your !magic pulling helps.
Blades ranger is way worse for dmg and lower WS cos of buffs (seemed to miss way more).
Pierce ranger has little trouble on blues and can consistently do yellows going under 50% on yellows tho.

I have tried 21pf 30pierce 20cd and 21pf 26?CD 25pierce(for stun) found the 30 pierce better for the yellows outside of CM dungeon and they were thrust resistant but pierce ranger was better than blades. Maybe if you used strcon pots, but would you pot for lvling?

RonELuvv
Alerion Knight

Postby RonELuvv » Oct 11, 2016 00:55

I also did not read everything in the thread, but pweet is right. If you want a soloable RvR stealther make an assassin. This is the wrong patch setting. They were doable and even viable with New RA's. With games like these you can make any toon you like, and I encourage you too, but just don't be upset when it doesn't perform well in frontier RvR.

On a side note, I seem to recall on classic live days there were some people that would make what was essentially a BM/mele ranger and they would go super low stealth and groups would take them with them so when they went near AMG they would spam stealth and if they couldn't stealth due to enemies being by and their stealth sucking, they would then pop TS and pop all the stealthers so the group could get some easy rps.

I could only see this being viable at low population hours when a group had room and was bored. Most groups on this server want to run semblance of a true group set up, and other then TS your ranger would be outperformed in almost every other possible way, in a group setting, by another toon.

Virn
Myrmidon

Postby Virn » Oct 11, 2016 11:59

Hello,

For me ranger have a lot advantage in specific group :
+ he can shot to kitting
+ he can interrupt ennemy magicien/healer with very high dommage
+ he can use self speed to inc or to back
+ he keep nice dps with them high speed attack

- haven't determination RA
- directly close dommage less to compare at blademaster (compensated by speed in theory)
- more weak to compare at Guardian in close fight

So, he is very efficient in large groupe 2fg+ ou with this kind group :
1 bard
2 drood
1 empath
2 ranger (lurikeen +10 str +10 dex +10 quick // 9 Path / 45 bow / 50 piercing / 37 celtic or 9 Path / 50 bow / 50 piercing / 30 celtic)
1 hero (or 2 to slam in front line during the kitting)
1 eldricht (or 0)

It's my opinion but in Uthgard Hibernia realm people want play idiot with only close composition to rival with Midgard -_-

++

Makish
Gryphon Knight

Postby Makish » Oct 11, 2016 14:33

those ranger would just get annilhated and suddenly your grp has zero to none dps
Ololofeld - BD - Lyo/Mid

rambowithgps
Guardian

Postby rambowithgps » Oct 11, 2016 20:01

Yeah, archers need to realize that people will have cap resist and group buffs. The options are very small: adding, group stealth, zerg. In the old days, they were a lot of player without templates. Those days are over, chances are, if you are nostalgic and still play daoc, you will have at least a good template. They will still be playable but just accept the fact that they will be a lot of frustrating moment. Still, the most fun i had was duoing with another ranger in daoc, so I understand the nostalgia. However, I don't want to waste hours of xping for naught. If you have a good buddy then got for it and maybe your melee ranger could be fun, I would be against any solo plays with this class.

RonELuvv
Alerion Knight

Postby RonELuvv » Oct 19, 2016 23:08

Virn wrote:Hello,

For me ranger have a lot advantage in specific group :
+ he can shot to kitting
+ he can interrupt ennemy magicien/healer with very high dommage
+ he can use self speed to inc or to back
+ he keep nice dps with them high speed attack

- haven't determination RA
- directly close dommage less to compare at blademaster (compensated by speed in theory)
- more weak to compare at Guardian in close fight

So, he is very efficient in large groupe 2fg+ ou with this kind group :
1 bard
2 drood
1 empath
2 ranger (lurikeen +10 str +10 dex +10 quick // 9 Path / 45 bow / 50 piercing / 37 celtic or 9 Path / 50 bow / 50 piercing / 30 celtic)
1 hero (or 2 to slam in front line during the kitting)
1 eldricht (or 0)

It's my opinion but in Uthgard Hibernia realm people want play idiot with only close composition to rival with Midgard -_-

++

Once again, I'm all about people building whatever toon they want but to expect a 2 fg set up running like you did is just highly unlikely. I played on this server for a LONG time. I had a 10L+ ranger, and I very rarely if ever ran with groups. The only time I ran with a group was for things like relic raid/def, or when friends of mine late at night needed a spot filled and didn't care what class I brought. Out of 4+ years of playing a ranger here I bet there was less then 30 times I was grouped in a visi group with my ranger. If they weren't bringing a 10L+ ranger with New RA's then they certainly aren't going to bring a low RR ranger with Old Ra's along. Anything, besides true sight, can be done better by another visi toon.

Kiting- Casters are better dps and have better options for kiting
Interupt- In group RvR you have casters rupt till tanks come in.
Self Speed- Admittedly that is an advantage, but one quickly taken away as ANY dmg stops your speed burst. Also, as you would be the only one with it how would the rest of your group catch up?
DPS/SPD- Your ranger will not have anymore dps then a caster. Actually, I'm wrong on that. A caster will have much better dps.

Sorry bud, but no serious group will be running with a ranger. Some stealther groups will, and some low population groups might bring you along just to fill in an open spot, but anything beyond that will be better served by another class.

Previous

Return to Ranger