Hero Celtic Spear VS Large Weapon VS Being a BM

pirhana7
Myrmidon

Postby pirhana7 » Apr 12, 2017 22:47

Hopefully This help people choose for exactly what they want to do.

Lots of things to factor in your decision

First for hero consider....
For 8man Spearo is better
1v1 LW is better

As a spearo most your 8man priority targets will be vulnerable to your thrust damage including the all the main targets: Cleric, healer, Shamy. Cloth Casters are neutral to all. Even secondary targets are vulnerable to you: skald, Minstrel.
Unless you are a Pierce BM your targets are going to be nuetral or resist. Same for LW hero nuetral or resists

LW only has a back stun, Style is good damage tho.
Spearo will anytime shield slam + spammable back snare style that is good damage and low endo cost.
BM anytime shield slam + spammable back snare with best damage.

VS a nuetral armor target : After stun Spearo can do 2hit side chain twice. This is more damage output than the BM can do in positional chains or the LW hero. Against one of the above vulnebable targets the damage goes up even further and you can ususally kill your target as they come out of stun if they do not get heals.
*** NOTE a VW can do the most damage out put on a stunned target with their side chain and DD proc but also has to land a back style stun instead of an anytime shield slam.

Against a non stunned target a BM will do more damage
VS a target attacking you a LW hero will take and trade damage better with their styles than a BM or Spearo.

For a BM to have slam they have to have 42 shield sacrafice alot of Parry. If the target purges slam and engages you, your 42 points spend in shield are basically wasted and now you have low parry for your 1v1. Compared to the LW hero or Spearo who has very high parry +2hand parry bonus.

BM will handle 1v1 against evading targets much better because of CD cutting evade skill in half.
Hero will handle fighter targets better because of 2hand weapon cutting parry skill in half. Same for VW
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you mainly want to do 8man Spear hero as main assist or BM are the way to go.

If you really want 1v1s LW hero is the way to go but you should also consider Champ or VW for doing this.

If you want to be all around good make a BM, if you want to be a little beefier but do slightly less damage then make a Hero but also consider LW for exchanging attacks or Spear for damage to a stunned target.

If you want to focus on fighting assasins make a BM
If you want to focus on fighting fighters make a Hero, Champ or VW

Zintair
Myrmidon

Postby Zintair » Apr 13, 2017 03:43

Roll a BM IMO.

Drunkstain
Warder

Postby Drunkstain » Apr 13, 2017 04:59

From what Ive gathered from other heroes, and I dont know if you have done testing, but every Hero ive talked to that has tried both spear and LW says even against chain armor you do more damage with LW.

I could be wrong as I personally havent tested it, but this is just after talking to friends who have tried them both.

In the current state of the game I agree, if you are wondering between which of these to roll I would recommend BM. I feel like majority of pugs are FULL of heroes but I hardly ever get BMs in my group. This is mainly from pugging during NA primetime.

pirhana7
Myrmidon

Postby pirhana7 » Apr 15, 2017 01:02

Drunkstain wrote:From what Ive gathered from other heroes, and I dont know if you have done testing, but every Hero ive talked to that has tried both spear and LW says even against chain armor you do more damage with LW.

I could be wrong as I personally havent tested it, but this is just after talking to friends who have tried them both.

In the current state of the game I agree, if you are wondering between which of these to roll I would recommend BM. I feel like majority of pugs are FULL of heroes but I hardly ever get BMs in my group. This is mainly from pugging during NA primetime.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Yes we tested this back in the day. Because it was a very contraversial thing like it is now. Altho back then not many BMs went for slam specs.

I am guessing the heros you have talked to tried it with a faster spear that hit for less damage or their target just happened to have more thriust resist. We tried it with equal speed spear vs both LW types on a Warrior target with 26% to all melee resists. Spear did about 8% and 15% more damage than LW slash and crush. then the opposite with a Bersker in Studded.

The big thing that most people dont consider with spear is the damage that side chain actually does, and when you can shield slam your going to get to do it. There is a reason why mids would always complain about spearos and would say the last thing they ever wanted to see was a Firb Spearo running towards them. Shamys would rage quit because of being 3 shot by spearos

Vitticus
Myrmidon

Postby Vitticus » Apr 20, 2017 01:03

I only have 39 spear, and I am noticing more pressure on healers and shamans with 39 spear than I do with 50 lw.

FreedomCall
Myrmidon

Postby FreedomCall » Apr 25, 2017 04:22

pirhana7 wrote:The big thing that most people dont consider with spear is the damage that side chain actually does, and when you can shield slam your going to get to do it. There is a reason why mids would always complain about spearos and would say the last thing they ever wanted to see was a Firb Spearo running towards them. Shamys would rage quit because of being 3 shot by spearos

I'm currently lvling my Hero, and considering final spec.
With 50 CS, how do you recommend on other specs?

Lots of posts seems to recommend a spec like 50LW/42Shield/38CS/10Blade/4Parry.
And according to many posts, LW seems to be quite useless without Annihilation.
That means spec like 50CS/42Shield/38LW/10Blade/4Parry might not be very effective.

Then should I just ignore LW and put more skills on Shield and Blade?
For example, 50CS/50Shield/28Blade/6Parry?
Or do you think LW would be still effective with 38LW?

And one more thing.
Do you think 28 Blade Spec will make a significant difference in landing side snare style, comparing to 10 Blade Spec?

NCR
Myrmidon

Postby NCR » Apr 27, 2017 09:07

mooved other trade

Kaziera
Gryphon Knight

Postby Kaziera » Apr 27, 2017 10:14

I specced 50 cs 50 shield 21 blades Rest parry on my firb hero.

At the moment i am 2l7 with det 4 lw 1 purge.

I really recommeded this.

Defense is great. I can outlast a melee train with 3 mid tanks without heal for like 20s with Moose and healpot.

Peels are perfect. I rareley have problems with enemy parry evade or block. Only svg is a bit annoying. And peeling 2 enemy tanks to death with backsnare is a crapton of fun. You litterally can hear them scream because they cant reach any of your casters or supports. Evry hit is like 300ish dmg with a fast 4.6 speed spear. That requires some amount of heal on the enemy tanks. Pressure on the enemys tanks while defending. How perfekt is that!

Guard is ok. Block rate is at a estimated 40% vs svg,mins or reaver, 30% on full tanks and maybe 15% on zerks or mercs.

Offense is decent. Mostly i play with 1+ caster in grp. So Usually i peel 2 of the 3 tanks, while the 3rd is getting focused by the casters. Then they start casting, I switch for a slam and/or a anytime style to give more burst. If the tank doesnt get insta healed, it always drops.

You lack the ridiculous dmg from anihilation, but all the Other benefits are great.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

FreedomCall
Myrmidon

Postby FreedomCall » Apr 27, 2017 20:22

Kaziera wrote:I specced 50 cs 50 shield 21 blades Rest parry on my firb hero.

At the moment i am 2l7 with det 4 lw 1 purge.

I really recommeded this.

Defense is great. I can outlast a melee train with 3 mid tanks without heal for like 20s with Moose and healpot.

Peels are perfect. I rareley have problems with enemy parry evade or block. Only svg is a bit annoying. And peeling 2 enemy tanks to death with backsnare is a crapton of fun. You litterally can hear them scream because they cant reach any of your casters or supports. Evry hit is like 300ish dmg with a fast 4.6 speed spear. That requires some amount of heal on the enemy tanks. Pressure on the enemys tanks while defending. How perfekt is that!

Guard is ok. Block rate is at a estimated 40% vs svg,mins or reaver, 30% on full tanks and maybe 15% on zerks or mercs.

Offense is decent. Mostly i play with 1+ caster in grp. So Usually i peel 2 of the 3 tanks, while the 3rd is getting focused by the casters. Then they start casting, I switch for a slam and/or a anytime style to give more burst. If the tank doesnt get insta healed, it always drops.

You lack the ridiculous dmg from anihilation, but all the Other benefits are great.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

Thanks. Maybe I should try that spec, too.

Vitticus
Myrmidon

Postby Vitticus » May 27, 2017 22:12

Vitticus wrote:I only have 39 spear, and I am noticing more pressure on healers and shamans with 39 spear than I do with 50 lw.

Actually nevermind, 50 LW crush still does more than the spear.

Tangora
Guardian

Postby Tangora » Sep 08, 2017 13:00

Hi all,

I have a question. It#s been a long time since I played DAOC. Back then I played a hero with baldes, shield and parry.

Now, I have the impression that no one plays that right now. Either LW or CS is now up to date, right?

But how can I understand the follwoing:

Kaziera wrote:
I specced 50 cs 50 shield 21 blades Rest parry on my firb hero.

That means you fight with CS than within the fight you change to balde and shield. Do you do this becuase you want to stun the enemy? What is the reason that you have shield on 50.

And why is nobody playing a hero with blades 50 and shield 50 anymore?

I am a bit confused to be honest and hope you can lighten it up :-P

I am looking for the best build in order to do RVR. What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help and explanations.

trademark
Myrmidon

Postby trademark » Sep 08, 2017 18:04

Tangora wrote:That means you fight with CS than within the fight you change to balde and shield. Do you do this becuase you want to stun the enemy? What is the reason that you have shield on 50.

And why is nobody playing a hero with blades 50 and shield 50 anymore?

50 sword isn't played because it doesn't do enough damage. If you're getting melee trained, you want to have your shield out, but you're not pulling your shield so you can hit hard with your sword.

The other reason, as you mentioned, to pull your shield out is to slam. As for 'why 50', you can also play a block bot, guarding a target that is being attacked by melee, and having 50 shield makes this more effective than 42 shield. The trade off is a fair amount of parry and some Blades, which is a valid trade off for some people.

As for best spec, there's a lot of min/maxing you can do with 50 LW / 39 CS specs, or 50 CS / 42 Shield specs, or whatever. The first is probably the 'best', but it's also the most intensive to play. So YMMV.
Alainna

Return to Hero