Tips for finding the right target?

FreedomCall
Myrmidon

Postby FreedomCall » May 06, 2017 01:38

Hi, I am running a bard and doing a base RvR in Thidranki.
As a bard, i think my priority should be mezzing other realm's mezzers before they mezz us.
So when I encounter Albs, I focus on the casters who is quite at the front, having staff and casting sth to us.
Then, I rush into him interrupting with amnesia, then I cast AoE mezz.
But in quite many cases, I mezz severals first, but get mezzed from the sorcerer who wasn't in my sight.

When I get mezzed first, I can just admit that think 'Lets do better next time'.
But I feel quite bad when I failed to find the right target, and get mezzed by them thou I mezzed some of them first.

Is there any tips to find a sorcerer at a glance among several casters who have staves?
And if you have any other tips related to mezzing effectively in RvR, I'll be really appreciated.

barto22
Phoenix Knight

Postby barto22 » May 06, 2017 02:59

You'll do well to succeed against a sorcerer in a so called "mezz-off". Their range is superior to yours and so is their casting speed. I've got a few tips for you but it's late right now so maybe I will revisit this thread tomorrow. Peace
My mind’s made up, don’t confuse me with facts.
You mustn't assume that your personal situation is a reflection of every other person that has logged in to Uthgard.

Chysil
Myrmidon

Postby Chysil » May 06, 2017 03:14

First of all, know your race to class conversion tables

Mid Healers (primary CC) will be Norseman to Dwarf. It's about an even split, but dwarf is probably more common. Unfortunately a lot of beserkers are also dwarf... so a good rule of thumb is find a Norseman or Dwarf who is holding a shield... that's usually a healer or a warrior, if you see them cast anything, it's a healer.

Mid Shamans are almost ALWAYS Kolbolds... trolls are extremely rare as a shaman, though maybe not as much in the BGs. however, a lot of savages go Kobold too... so again... look for the shield

Here's how to tell the alb caster classes apart:

Sorc (primary CC) - Usually a saracin or Inconue. Has a CHARMED pet (aka just a mob). Their casted mezz has a pink animation near their feet. The main thing that distiguishes them from the cabalist is the pet difference, though it can be hard to figure out who's pet is who

Cabby - See sorc but with cabby pet _____ simlicron

Theurg - Almost always a briton with a staff (Friars are rare, and most won't pick avalonian). They'll be near the back (if they are good) and if you see a bunch of earth / ice / air pets coming out, follow them to the theurg.

Wizards - Again, a briton or avalonian with a staff... really hard to tell them apart until they start casting and you see a bunch of fire bolts or ice pbaoe come out
| Absolute Power |
Chysil - Bard - 3Lx
Fluffykittens - Enchantress - 2Lx
Cercela - Animist - 2Lx
Owanda - Druid - 2Lx
LGM: SC, AC, WC, Tailor

aylictal
Myrmidon

Postby aylictal » May 09, 2017 10:47

There is a lot of bad info in this thread.

Yes a sorcs mez range is longer than a bards, but that doesn't mean that a sorc outranges a bard. Amnesia is beyond bolt range (2300 iirc) and sorc mez is bolt range (1875). If you use the lowest level one in your main line, it tends to resist very heavily and if amnesia is resisted, it will interupt the target. If it doesn't interupt, if they were midcast they'll restart their mez cast but not be interupted. If this happens you need to blow a single instant mez on them, otherwise, if amnesia resists instead and you interupt them, you are free to move up into cast range far before the sorc will recover. Just because you have lower range on your mez than a sorc doesn't mean you can't win mez against them, especially if you have speed pulse up and fully utilize your class's abilities in tandem with amnesia and insta mez if needed.

Ignore the above commentor about races. Sorcs can be avalonians or britons the same as cabs or theurgs.

Pay attention moreso to the purple/pinkish graphic underneath their feet as they cast. If it's that color, it's a sorc. If it's green, its a cab. If it's nothing, the color of the graphic will be a part of their hands. Red for wizard, White for theurg.
Last edited by aylictal on May 09, 2017 10:57, edited 1 time in total.

aylictal
Myrmidon

Postby aylictal » May 09, 2017 10:52

Also as for picking healer out, Kite Squad if you run into them can be very difficult to figure out.

They sometimes run 5 norseman, warrior, skald, and 3 healers all with small shields all dyed the exact same. There isn't a real way to figure out who is who at the start of a fight unless you remember their names or see how they position themselves or if they are planted casting.

Sometimes however you can spot if the warrior or skald has a 2h equipped because no shield will be displayed, but a healer could just as easily mask themselves with the same thing, and since every mid melee on this server is hammer, they won't look any different than if a healer just equipped their own (and only) 2handed weapon type.

Good luck.

FreedomCall
Myrmidon

Postby FreedomCall » May 11, 2017 19:09

thx for replies mates.
Gonna rock again in Cale. :D

Chysil
Myrmidon

Postby Chysil » May 26, 2017 06:11

aylictal wrote:
Ignore the above commentor about races. Sorcs can be avalonians or britons the same as cabs or theurgs.

Hence the "Usually" part... honestly haven't seen a briton or avalonian sorc of significant realm rank out there, although I'm sure there's probably one or two... the VAST majorty of them are sarc or inconue
| Absolute Power |
Chysil - Bard - 3Lx
Fluffykittens - Enchantress - 2Lx
Cercela - Animist - 2Lx
Owanda - Druid - 2Lx
LGM: SC, AC, WC, Tailor

Return to Bard