Single weapon line - Hammer vs Sword

nox156
Warder

Postby nox156 » Jan 13, 2017 15:17

Going for a single weapon line. My char is going used for pvE farming but mostly for peeling/assist training in RvR.

I was set on 50 Sword/42shield rest parry but realized Raganrok doesnt snare in 1.65...I dinged 20 last night and am considering going hammer instead. The backsnare being at 29 and no useful styles being available past 39, I was considering 39 hammer/50 shield/ rest parry instead. Dropping weapon to 39 wont affect dmg too much but I was wondering if the DMG difference ofconquer vs Ragnarok was really significant?

Should I stick with sword or go hammer?

nox156
Warder

Postby nox156 » Jan 13, 2017 16:14

Looking at the character builder, it might also be worthwhile to increase hammer to 44 for the conquest chain high damage
44 hammer/50 shield/rest parry

Or I could go dual weapon line 50 sword/29 hammer/42 shield/rest parry.

For Pve sticking to a single line is definately a benefit and if my main job will be peeling, then hammer and high shield to land those stuns and back snare would be ideal.

For assist training, the 50 sword style probably yields the best dmg, especially considering chain and scale are crush resistant

Kaldor
Warder

Postby Kaldor » Jan 13, 2017 19:59

Ive always found that sword did more damage vs hammer on classic and on live. There is a reason that any soloer type in RvR used sword. If you are playing in RvR one of your RA's should be prevent flight most likely. And you are correct on the resist vs sword and hammer in RvR.

My warrior spec will be 50 sword, 42 shield, rest parry. I will play my warrior in RvR, both 8 man groups, and small groups, so having more parry is more important to me than a few more points in shield.

I guess I could have run hammer to 48 for the autotrain points, but I dont feel its worth it for a few extra points in parry at the end of the day. And the fact that you have to respec to get back to sword, which IIRC the only way to get a respec is to kill the dragon at this patch level.
"You cant fix stupid" - Ron White

Chia
Warder

Postby Chia » Jan 27, 2018 17:34

My warrior is 49 so take with a grain of salt, although the limited rvr i have experienced on him slam hasn't missed a lot.

My final spec -> 50shield/50sword/29hammer/11parry

I leveled using sword and let other lines auto then at 48 I raised hammer to 29 for snare style.
Although if you are going for mostly PVE I would suggest 50shield/50hammer/rest parry since from what I hear from other warriors is that sledgehammer is similar damage to rag and hammer styles use less endurance, better anytime.

Pendalith
Myrmidon

Postby Pendalith » Jan 28, 2018 05:08

" The backsnare being at 29 and no useful styles being available past 39"
The 44 follow up style is big dmg...
"Whether your aim is to dominate enemies in the frontier, become a legendary crafter, or defeat dragons throughout the land, Uthgard has a place for you! So join us, rekindle the memories of old and let the adventures begin!"

https://www.uthgard.net/donate

isocleas2
Gryphon Knight

Postby isocleas2 » Jan 28, 2018 11:08

Warriors spend a lot of time peeling if you plan on doing a lot of rvr I'd recommend 50 hammer 50 shield 28 parry. Ragnarok dmg is not that great the whole sword line is pretty useless imo.

eckso
Warder

Postby eckso » Apr 02, 2018 20:02

I think since Warriors can auto train, it is worth to go split spec at level 50.

50 Hammer, 42 Shield, and 41 Sword.

This lets you snare with one hand, and switch damage types for two hand based on target. E.g Bard you would want crush damage, and Druids Slash. It is much more difficult to template though, since items with +all melee skills are hard to come by.

Return to Warrior