Compiling Cave Shaman AOE Spots

joerosion
Warder

Postby joerosion » Nov 05, 2018 19:27

Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to Uthgard and (mostly) a newcomer to DAOC in general. I've begun my journey in Midgard as a cave-specced shaman. I'll probably return to Aug life at 40, but with the population being what it is, I think aoe kiting is probably the way to go on the way up.

I'm in the process now of compiling all of the best spots for cave shamans using a mixture of information from these, a thread or two on Reddit, and personal experience — and I could really use your help! There's some great information in a few threads spanning years here, but I'm trying to get it all rounded up in a single, complete resource.

I'm 25 now and I've found a few good spots, but nothing transcendent. Any spot for shamans of any level will be helpful! (And I plan on trying each one!)

What are your go-to spots for leveling up as a Cave Shammy?

In my experience, the best spots:

• Are dense with mobs.
  • Have aggressive mobs.
  • Have no casters.
  • Offer some room to run around.

I'm in the process of transcribing my crummy notes into a more organized spreadsheet, and I'll happily share when I'm a little further along.

Thanks!

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » Nov 08, 2018 17:17

West Svealand - Bloodfelag Huts - If you unlock AE DoT at level 19, this is the spot to be. AE the center of the hut and you can kite the mobs. There is a OTD bear that drops a helmet nearby.

Muspelheim - Spiders, don't really drop any salvage but are clustered up enough that they can provide decent xp. They stop being so great around level 23

Muspelheim - Charred Skeletons - Spot that has the named mob. Not that great of a spot, but can help get you through levels 24-28 solo if needed. Has OTD and a trophy mob at location.

Muspelheim - Seared Skeletons and Mephatic Ghouls (ideal around level 29 for EXP, 34+ for farming)

West Skona - Werewolf Ravine, (Head the direction you're facing when you hop off horse, mobs aggro) Level 36-42 is ideal for exp

Vanern Swamp - Hagbui Farmhouse, mobs mostly neutral but with AE insta disease and AA you can cluster a lot of them up. Decent for getting salvage drops

Vanern Swamp - Hagbui Camp, extremely profitable if going for salvage. Level 49 is kind of necessary if you want to get consistent kills, mostly because mobs will be orange con.

Vanern Swamp - The frogs (North of Vanern entrance). No salvage drops, but by far the highest potential for EXP. Level 49 is ideal, but that's because you want your final AE DoT. I started soloing here around level 46 and got substantial xp gains. Frogs are orange con at level 50, and there is easily 70+ of them clustered, making the spot superb for PLing.

Hope this helps out a bit.

rawkfist
Myrmidon

Postby rawkfist » Nov 24, 2018 01:07

Vanern Swamp - Hagbui Farmhouse, mobs mostly neutral but with AE insta disease and AA you can cluster a lot of them up. Decent for getting salvage drops

Sorry for being a noob to the Cave Shaman but how do you cluster them up? I am level 36 atm and hitting mobs at Muspelheim, skellies and ghouls. What is the best technique to pull as many mobs as possible?

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » Nov 26, 2018 15:37

rawkfist wrote:Vanern Swamp - Hagbui Farmhouse, mobs mostly neutral but with AE insta disease and AA you can cluster a lot of them up. Decent for getting salvage drops

Sorry for being a noob to the Cave Shaman but how do you cluster them up? I am level 36 atm and hitting mobs at Muspelheim, skellies and ghouls. What is the best technique to pull as many mobs as possible?

For that Vanern spot, that's the best method is to AA and insta disease. In areas where aggressive mobs, you can usually just body pull. As an alternative, use AOE disease (castable) on different targets to pull them and use insta disease to get the ones who resist it.

Skurk
Myrmidon

Postby Skurk » Nov 26, 2018 18:25

Well the Hagbui spot in vanern is somehow changed for me i guess, or very bad luck the last time.. did like 10 pulls and 7 of them was without drop from about 15 mobs.. well i know stackable stones are considered drops too but at a different rate i beleave :)

Well if you have someone to pull off those mighty Hagbui Thane mobs who can cast and interupt you during the pull + round up of mobs (spinning in a circle around a tree at best ^^ ) then you dont need those mobs in a big pull and make you loose the pull..but a lvl 50 can do it :)

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » Nov 26, 2018 18:33

Skurk wrote:Well the Hagbui spot in vanern is somehow changed for me i guess, or very bad luck the last time.. did like 10 pulls and 7 of them was without drop from about 15 mobs.. well i know stackable stones are considered drops too but at a different rate i beleave :)

Well if you have someone to pull off those mighty Hagbui Thane mobs who can cast and interupt you during the pull + round up of mobs (spinning in a circle around a tree at best ^^ ) then you dont need those mobs in a big pull and make you loose the pull..but a lvl 50 can do it :)

I find the spot to be very hit or miss for me. Lots of salvage or hardly any. I will generally clear the farmhouse, rest, then single target a thane with a disease+bolt+DoT (recasting it if it resists) and then rest and repeat. Adding a thane or berserker between pulls can, with decent RNG, increase your hourly income by 300 gold.

Bodyguard
Myrmidon

Postby Bodyguard » Nov 26, 2018 21:11

I'm sure drop rates from Hagbui in Vanern have been reduced. I have been farming there for 4 weeks on several Hagbui spots and the last week, with more than 500 mobs killed, there was a huge difference with previous weeks. Last week was close to 80 % less loots than each of the 3 weeks before and for the same amount of mobs per week.

I think that is the same thing with some spots in Raumarik, I found the same difference.

rawkfist
Myrmidon

Postby rawkfist » Nov 27, 2018 02:46

What is AA?

Wakanidoo
Myrmidon

Postby Wakanidoo » Nov 27, 2018 15:08

Bodyguard wrote:I'm sure drop rates from Hagbui in Vanern have been reduced. I have been farming there for 4 weeks on several Hagbui spots and the last week, with more than 500 mobs killed, there was a huge difference with previous weeks. Last week was close to 80 % less loots than each of the 3 weeks before and for the same amount of mobs per week.

I think that is the same thing with some spots in Raumarik, I found the same difference.

A msg I sent to Blue 2 months ago:
in game I made at least 3 /appeal because I was killing mobs to loot items for salvage, and afte having killed more than 50 mobs (108 mobs in Yggdra Forest), i had ZERO drops of items to salvage.
Each time it was Abydos that answered my appeal, each time he told me that no change was made to drop rate in the game, "you are just unlucky" was his only answer. And, strangely, after the discussion, mobs began to drop items to salvage: in Malmohus, 10 items after about 25 Drakulv kills (then I got killed by a mob), 12 items after ONLY 15 Shard Golem Kills in Yggdra (and got killed by an ennemy), a dozen of drops after less than 30 Frost spectre in Uppland before beimg killed by 3 albs.
Why drop rate became so huge after Abydos was here? Why does he refuse to admit that there is a bug with the ROG (or RNG) system ? Im not alone to complain about the low, even inexistant drop rate in the whole game.
I just wanted to inform you of his lack of empathy and communication with the players.
Thank you.

Answer from Blue:
The drop rates on Uthgard use original Daoc drop rates. And it is right, you was just unlucky. Abydos did no change to the loottables.

Blue

As you read, you are unlucky, as Im... No bug with drop rate......

rawkfist wrote:What is AA?

Same question !
We are here to help *you*
Alcyon: UK; Abydos: US; Baldrug: DE; Blue: DE; Cirdan: US; Crucible: US; Decidon: US;
Genjiro: DE; Gnome: US; Juna: DE; Nayru: DE; Trishin: UK; Rajnish: US

The Uthgard Staff are always here!

Rendiviel
Gryphon Knight

Postby Rendiviel » Nov 27, 2018 15:50

rawkfist wrote:What is AA?

Auto attack. Whacking something without using a combat style.

Wakanidoo
Myrmidon

Postby Wakanidoo » Nov 27, 2018 18:25

Thank you Rendiviel !
We are here to help *you*
Alcyon: UK; Abydos: US; Baldrug: DE; Blue: DE; Cirdan: US; Crucible: US; Decidon: US;
Genjiro: DE; Gnome: US; Juna: DE; Nayru: DE; Trishin: UK; Rajnish: US

The Uthgard Staff are always here!

rawkfist
Myrmidon

Postby rawkfist » Nov 28, 2018 00:34

Thank you:)

Return to Shaman