Savage 2h valid in 1.65?

Norweth
Guardian

Postby Norweth » Aug 23, 2016 00:32

Hello!
With i50 out I decided to play a Savage on mid for a bit, and I was asking myself if 2h Savage is any good at 1.65. If so, what are the advantages/disadvantages in doing so?

Thanks in advance!

morry1000
Gryphon Knight

Postby morry1000 » Aug 24, 2016 18:35

You mean to say you do not wish to have a lobster strapped to each forearm? :D

Pretty sure if you have a quick search on here someone posted a link to the Style Line tables for all the realms. I would think H2H has better utility and higher overall growth rates than sword/axe/hammer.

I do remember back in the day there was a surge of popularity for 2handed savages, damned if I can remember why that was. Probably some bug or some such that favoured it at that time :lol:

Plus, and correct me if I am wrong on this savage experts, but do you not get Slash lobsters and Thrust lobsters? so two different damage types, could be handy.

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Aug 24, 2016 19:21

morry1000 wrote:You mean to say you do not wish to have a lobster strapped to each forearm? :D

Pretty sure if you have a quick search on here someone posted a link to the Style Line tables for all the realms. I would think H2H has better utility and higher overall growth rates than sword/axe/hammer.

I do remember back in the day there was a surge of popularity for 2handed savages, damned if I can remember why that was. Probably some bug or some such that favoured it at that time :lol:

Plus, and correct me if I am wrong on this savage experts, but do you not get Slash lobsters and Thrust lobsters? so two different damage types, could be handy.

hitting with a 5.7 was ...nuts.
But they restricted to a max of 5.5 at some point (1.65 even?) and also reduced the rates of multihits. Check patch notes for details

Garlak
Warder

Postby Garlak » Sep 04, 2016 13:00

In my opinion, 2h always has been a viable option for savages. I played both a h2h and a 2h savage on the official classic servers, which was of course another patch setting (similar to Uthgard 1.0, IIRC), though if anything, h2h had been buffed at that point compared to 1.65. I used savages of either kind both solo and when running in fgs.

-2h synergizes very well with aug healer's celerity buff. When running celerity, 2h has (from my experience) higher dps than h2h.

-Provided you go hammer, conquer is arguably better than clan's call to stay on top of fleeing targets. The latter one gives stun immunity for a meager 4 or 5 second stun, while the former one provides your assist train (or just you) with a repeatable (no immunity) snare.

-A troll 2h savage has higher WS than any h2h savage, which helps with defense penetration, especially parry (2h halves parry).

Disadvantages:

-When going without celerity, your dps will be lower when compared to a h2h savage (although still very high compared to pretty much everything else).

-h2h is hands down the better choice for soloing, providing stuns and higher dps without buffs.

-2h does not multihit, limiting your spike damage to crits. The point has been made that more consistent damage was an advantage, but I disagree. Random damage spikes are harder to heal than consistent damage.

-The lack of multihits makes it harder for you to bypass the enemy guarder, since h2h's multi-hits count as dual wielding and thus half the guarders chance to block. EDIT: There's some contray information on these boards (and from people who know their stuff, too), so take this point with a grain of salt. I'm fairly certain that multi hits had found to count as dual wielding for h2h (but only those, not h2h attacks in general), but this may have been at a later patch state.

All being said, IMO 2h is very viable when running in groups with an aug healer. When I was to play a savage in a fixed group, I would very much consider going hammer over h2h. If you like the idea of playing a savage, but still using a "real" weapon, go for it. One thing to remember though is that troll is the only viable race for a 2h savage (unless, of course, you prefer aesthetics to optimization). Go 49 sav 44 hammer on a troll with 15 str 10 qui (you won't have celerity 100% of the time) and you will not be disappointed.

Was it nerfed? Sure. Is 2h still beastly? Hell yes. If you like it, go for it, you won't gimp yourself at all. I personally prefer h2h for higher flexibility (better when soloing, running without aug healer, all races viable), but you'll be fine with 2h.

Cipherr
Myrmidon

Postby Cipherr » Sep 06, 2016 04:29

since h2h's multi-hits count as dual wielding and thus half the guarders chance to block. EDIT: There's some contray information on these boards (and from people who know their stuff, too), so take this point with a grain of salt. I'm fairly certain that multi hits had found to count as dual wielding for h2h (but only those, not h2h attacks in general), but this may have been at a later patch state.

Would be nice to get official response and answer on this issue to be honest.

We know that CD/DW get the defensive piercing bonus only when both hands swing, its supposed to work like that for Savages too at this patch level IIRC.

t-bone
Myrmidon

Postby t-bone » Dec 05, 2016 11:22

wrong post

Skyhaze
Myrmidon

Postby Skyhaze » Dec 27, 2016 19:56

Do you guys think 2 handed savages would get groups? Or be overlooked

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Was thinking of making 2 hand troll hammer for ****** and giggles

Komaf
Warder

Postby Komaf » Feb 05, 2017 20:55

I've seen effective Norse two-handed savages. A troll is basically an Aug strength five character with a two handed weapon and haste - whereas a Norse lacks in strength but might make up for that as a smaller target, looking like a skald or other class, just might be more easily managed against smaller sized races (Lurikeen, etc.).

Players, however, are ******. They might tell you they would have grabbed a berserker were they looking for another form of dps. H2H has specific qualities (potential strafing 2 part move that ends in a 9-sec stun) and of course the 4 sec anytime rear style that helps huge with peeling a healer/caster.

I personally would love to go 2-Handed. I've done it on a Norse and in TG found I was hitting harder than a better geared Kobold who was H2H.

In a guild then who cares - if they don't. Going to live a pug life? Stick with H2H.

Return to Savage