Thinking of going single spec...

Casual
Guardian

Postby Casual » May 11, 2017 12:52

Hey everyone, could use a bit of advice here or just any comments on this situation in general.

I know there's absolutely no reason not to go dual spec with 39/39 to be damage type efficient(also .1 slower Mainhand). However Ive played a BM long time ago and remember how I absolutely hated the manual shield dragging from the tiny inventory window in combat. It killed a lot of fun for me. I'm not sure I wanna do repeat that experience again. Plus on NA ping (esp if celerity is up), i will give up a nice chunk of dps no matter how fast I re-enter combat after switching.

1. How much do you think pickup rvr groups shun a single spec zerker on this server?

2. In this case, hammer seems like a no-brainer due to snare ? Assuming snaring RAs are out of the question since I'm not counting on climbing ranks that fast.
Potential counter-argument: since I wont be solo chasing targets that much in a group, do you think its okay going axe/sword since there's almost always some kind of snare/stun in the assist train. Superior damagetype and .1 slower MH worth giving up.

3. If hammer, would you go to 44 for snare follow-up + higher chance to land those ? Spec would be 50/44/rest parry

jenskamen
Myrmidon

Postby jenskamen » May 11, 2017 16:03

Casual wrote:Hey everyone, could use a bit of advice here or just any comments on this situation in general.

I know there's absolutely no reason not to go dual spec with 39/39 to be damage type efficient(also .1 slower Mainhand). However Ive played a BM long time ago and remember how I absolutely hated the manual shield dragging from the tiny inventory window in combat. It killed a lot of fun for me. I'm not sure I wanna do repeat that experience again. Plus on NA ping (esp if celerity is up), i will give up a nice chunk of dps no matter how fast I re-enter combat after switching.

1. How much do you think pickup rvr groups shun a single spec zerker on this server?

2. In this case, hammer seems like a no-brainer due to snare ? Assuming snaring RAs are out of the question since I'm not counting on climbing ranks that fast.
Potential counter-argument: since I wont be solo chasing targets that much in a group, do you think its okay going axe/sword since there's almost always some kind of snare/stun in the assist train. Superior damagetype and .1 slower MH worth giving up.

3. If hammer, would you go to 44 for snare follow-up + higher chance to land those ? Spec would be 50/44/rest parry

Ive never asked a zerker what his spec is before inviting him to a pug. i dont think anyone does ... the real elitist groups wont invite you anyway since they dont know you already i guess.

i prefer hammer for the snare

i would spec 50LA/50H/28P, if singleweapon

Casual
Guardian

Postby Casual » May 11, 2017 20:44

I just realized you can put 1h in 2h slot :oops:

Thought you needed to manually drag n drop to switch weapon types before. Not a lot of reason to go single spec then...

Lfeless
Warder

Postby Lfeless » May 12, 2017 23:31

Casual wrote:Hey everyone, could use a bit of advice here or just any comments on this situation in general.

Just my opinion do what you will with it.

1. There is good reason to go higher than 39 split spec on Uthgard2 your total spec, not composite determine your defense penetration. Split spec will not lessen your chances of getting into a group, unless you are expected to snare a target, or drop it quickly and can not do either then you chances or being picked up again may be lower. You have 3 primary functions. Big consistent damage, snare, get on a caster and stay there.

2. A. Hammer is the gold standard for berserkers, though we do see the occasional sword or axe spec. VS caster groups you will be expected to split assist and an enemy will undoubtedly be snaring you via melee snare or pet snare, so you will need your rear and side snares from hammer line often. (also Sledgehammer does BIG damage).
B. When your MA or Slam/Snare buddy gets peeled off you need to be able to pick up the slack or you will catch yourself being kited in circles and effectively out of the fight.
3. 50H/50LA/29Parry until rr5 and if you feel like you can get away with lowering your spec do it then.

-Coldhands

Casual
Guardian

Postby Casual » May 14, 2017 16:37

Thanks for you input, Hammer it is then.

Can you clarify on 1 about defense penetration ? 50+11 hammer penetrates defense better than 39+11 on Uthgard(edit: on LA styles) ?

Valfar
Gryphon Knight

Postby Valfar » Aug 15, 2018 21:12

Casual wrote:Thanks for you input, Hammer it is then.

Can you clarify on 1 about defense penetration ? 50+11 hammer penetrates defense better than 39+11 on Uthgard(edit: on LA styles) ?

Split spec is fine, most of these nablets have no clue how to play a zerker properly anyway, and don't concern yourself with high rr zerkers either, or what they have to say, 80% of them on uthg1 and uthg2 got their ranks cause they play all the time, not because they're good. Split spec is the way to go to optimize your performance, but full hammer is fine too. Most of the time you try to spam conquer/frost hammer. Once a target it slammed, you can do a few snowsqualls. If you have a feeling their support is rupted and you think you can either drop something or make them burn instants, you can go ahead with the full back style chain for massive damage. Again, it's situational. Keep in mind, most people have no clue about the various armor types and weaknesses to specific damage types.

If you use LA styles, def penetration should not be a problem and it's not even with 39 hammer tbh when using hammer. As usual, people are dumb ******, it's not as though you're supposed to tank brawl on a zerker and hit tanks frontally all the time, some WS that you're missing will not make a big difference. As for the damage, dmg over time > spike dmg in DAOC, consistency is important. Snowsquall still has about the same growth rate as any hammer style, but you don't have to switch to 2h and risk missing due to blade turn or missing in general and taking time to recover, and you retain the option of hitting another snowsquall or just boosting the dmg with icy brilliance and aurora borealis(again, if you think you can drop something, otherwise don't do it because of the bleed on icy brilliance). I mean ok, some use sledgehammer with 1h too so they recover faster etc. but then it's just better to use snowsquall anyway. You don't need to be a mindless animal like most of these people, which means go split spec, have a 2.9 LA as your main and cleaver in inventory for when you have celerity to switch to slower LA.

Other than that, what Coldhands said is correct...it's mostly just snare, snare, snare until you get a chance to dish out some dmg with the higher growth rate styles. You need to deal consistent dmg and control the target while dealing dmg, rather than relying on spike dmg.
It is what it is.

Return to Berserker