Earth Wizard Race & Spec?

Heskey
Warder

Postby Heskey » Apr 17, 2017 01:40

Hi all,

I want to make an Earth Wizard. I understand that most think this is a bad idea, but I play games for fun and sometimes what's fun for me is doing different things that other's won't - like playing against the meta. I'll be clear from the outset that I've no hope, nor intention, of joining evenly matched, optimal 8v8s like some eSport tournament. My ambitions for level 50 are Keep attack/defence, zerging, and general all-out-warfare with whoever will have me, versus whoever we come across.

This isn't my main, it is purely for fun.

I'm no theory-crafted, or DAoC Vet however, so I'd appreciate some honest advice without scorn. I know that Earth has no DD, its bolt damage is worse than the Fire spec's bolt, and that the GTAoE spell makes the class sort-of useful for keep defence, but what else does the spec have going for it, and lack?

Which race and attribute distribution would you recommend? Cloaking Donkey suggests 15 Dex + 10 Int with Avalonian being first choice, and Briton being second. Avalonian in a dress screams "kill me I'm a wizard" whereas Briton not-so-much (but honestly, the only alternative thought would be Friar, so I don't see the issue?), and with 60 in stats across the board, Briton isn't so bad.

I'd be thinking Briton with 15 Dex for cast speed, then 10 Int - but what about an Avalonian with 5 Str, 15 Dex, 5 Int? This leaves me with 50 Str, 45 Con, 75 Dex, 85 Int.

Okay so I'm weaker and squishier than a Briton, but with 50 Str I have no carry penalty and why waste points in Con - I'm a glass cannon, right? I'll end up with the same Dex as a Briton, and 15 more Int?

As for Spec, I saw this quoted elsewhere, and it sounds reasonable to me, but as I say I'm no expert - what do you think?

EARTH SPEC
48 Earth / 23 Fire / 7 Ice (can actually be 9)
Max lvl for all earth tools, Fire points to lower baseline dd variance, 1st PBAoE for stealth reveals.

Sounds reasonable to me. Would appreciate your thoughts and advice, thanks.
"We accept only optimal classes into XP groups then wonder at 50 why we have a realm full of meta." - Random Player

BumblesZERG
Myrmidon

Postby BumblesZERG » Apr 22, 2017 01:12

Umm why would you put points into Str? And imo Avalonian all the way for any wizard for pure DPS but you are going Earth so hell make a Briton.
Lone Enforcer

Uthgard 2.0
50 Cabby
50 Earth Wizard
50 Minstrel
50 Reaver

Heskey
Warder

Postby Heskey » Apr 22, 2017 16:26

I read in the Prima guide to DAoC that characters with less than 50 Str take a hefty carry capacity penalty, which is why I'm thinking +5 Str if going Avalonian?
"We accept only optimal classes into XP groups then wonder at 50 why we have a realm full of meta." - Random Player

daonest
Myrmidon

Postby daonest » Apr 26, 2017 21:28

no at char creation dont worry about strength no matter the class you always put points into the most needed stats. in this case dex/int and maybe a few points into con. Str you can always make up in the template to account for debuffs/disease.
http://twitch.tv/oxbear
Oxmeh - Riot Control (50 Necro)(50 Merc/44inf/45Wiz)
http://www.riot-control.org

Hotpockets
Warder

Postby Hotpockets » Apr 29, 2017 20:40

Earth is this patch is not meta. And half the Earth line wont't be used in premade groups but don't you worry, as a wizard you wont get those invites 95% of the time anyways (Fire, Ice, Earth... doesn't matter). BUT man it would be a great spec for larger PvP. If nothing else the AoE and snare is just distractingly cool looking and snares! Only thing is 9 ice.... Why? You have GTAOE and dont need the PBAOE.

This being said, Earth does look like a ton of fun and I want to make one as well.

BumblesZERG
Myrmidon

Postby BumblesZERG » May 21, 2017 06:53

Earth Wizards will rise from the ashes to change the meta. You heard it here first.
Lone Enforcer

Uthgard 2.0
50 Cabby
50 Earth Wizard
50 Minstrel
50 Reaver

Hasbulat
Myrmidon

Postby Hasbulat » Feb 17, 2018 06:34

Heskey wrote:Hi all,

I want to make an Earth Wizard. I understand that most think this is a bad idea, but I play games for fun and sometimes what's fun for me is doing different things that other's won't - like playing against the meta. I'll be clear from the outset that I've no hope, nor intention, of joining evenly matched, optimal 8v8s like some eSport tournament. My ambitions for level 50 are Keep attack/defence, zerging, and general all-out-warfare with whoever will have me, versus whoever we come across.

This isn't my main, it is purely for fun.

I'm no theory-crafted, or DAoC Vet however, so I'd appreciate some honest advice without scorn. I know that Earth has no DD, its bolt damage is worse than the Fire spec's bolt, and that the GTAoE spell makes the class sort-of useful for keep defence, but what else does the spec have going for it, and lack?

Which race and attribute distribution would you recommend? Cloaking Donkey suggests 15 Dex + 10 Int with Avalonian being first choice, and Briton being second. Avalonian in a dress screams "kill me I'm a wizard" whereas Briton not-so-much (but honestly, the only alternative thought would be Friar, so I don't see the issue?), and with 60 in stats across the board, Briton isn't so bad.

I'd be thinking Briton with 15 Dex for cast speed, then 10 Int - but what about an Avalonian with 5 Str, 15 Dex, 5 Int? This leaves me with 50 Str, 45 Con, 75 Dex, 85 Int.

Okay so I'm weaker and squishier than a Briton, but with 50 Str I have no carry penalty and why waste points in Con - I'm a glass cannon, right? I'll end up with the same Dex as a Briton, and 15 more Int?

As for Spec, I saw this quoted elsewhere, and it sounds reasonable to me, but as I say I'm no expert - what do you think?

EARTH SPEC
48 Earth / 23 Fire / 7 Ice (can actually be 9)
Max lvl for all earth tools, Fire points to lower baseline dd variance, 1st PBAoE for stealth reveals.

Sounds reasonable to me. Would appreciate your thoughts and advice, thanks.

As a race is an Avalonian -the only choice for a Wizzard. You will love each more point into Intelligence to grow your power and damage. I would put the starting points into 15 dex and 10 inteli.

For the spec... what would you expect to do with the earth spec? Yes, GTAE is very usefull thing for a keep and wall fights. But, as I think, it s enough to rupt with GTAE in lord room or gate house. Isnt the lowest GTAE enough for that proposal?

Even with with the highest skill in Ice or Heat-School you will get the first GTAE in order to rupt.

Both of the classic wizard skills -
Fire: 50 Heat, 18 Earth and 9 Ice
or Ice : 50 Cold, 24 Earth would give your the (lowest) GTAE-Ability for the keep fight and keep you damage skill very high for all other situations.

Well, for a GTAE-Junky I would skill 43 Eath for the highest GTAE and the best AE-Root and keep 32 in Fire for for less variance of fire Base-DD (your main cast) and for more or less rational Bolts. But, it would be not an optimum.

Torgo
Eagle Knight

Postby Torgo » Feb 22, 2018 19:43

The lev 47 AoE DMG/Snare could be gnarly against det 5 tank trains...

Make those healers work and slow the pain train down in the process....

Hasbulat
Myrmidon

Postby Hasbulat » Feb 23, 2018 01:55

Torgo wrote:The lev 47 AoE DMG/Snare could be gnarly against det 5 tank trains...

Make those healers work and slow the pain train down in the process....

I tryed to work with dd-snare. Low damage and high resist of snare. Root and disease will work better there.

Return to Wizard