Wizards in PVE

SnoRb
Warder

Postby SnoRb » Jul 24, 2016 21:57

Hi all,
its been a long time since I played DAOC and I am just thinking about my first character that I want to play once the server goes live.

I was thinking about playing a cleric to level up fast hopefully finding a lot of groups and be welcomed on any type of raids PVE and RVR.

But I remembered last time I played DAOC I played also a Wiz, first fire then Ice and I had quite some fun. Now with the 1.65 Patch will wizards be welcomed in leveling groups, and PVE raids? Dragon...Legion...seal farming and so on?
Which spec should I go for that, Ice or fire? I remember Ice being awesome when there was a multiple pull, but against single targets not that bad.

Hope I get some feedback from you guys,
Thanks.

morry1000
Gryphon Knight

Postby morry1000 » Jul 24, 2016 22:03

I would think that an Ice wiz with PBAOE would be most welcome in PvE grps for lvling.

Fire perhaps not so much, I believe the main problem with wiz is a lack of utility in RvR.

However they still do very good damage and Volcanic Pillar is supposed to be good as we are on 'old' RA's.

The state of pow regen currently is a topic of muchos debate, you may wish to read up on that before committing.

SnoRb
Warder

Postby SnoRb » Jul 24, 2016 22:12

yeah I read about the power regen being super slow. That might be an issue, but also needs higher focus on not going below the 50%.

Do you anything about PVE Endcontent and usage of the wizard? Dragon raid, DF raid and so on?

morry1000
Gryphon Knight

Postby morry1000 » Jul 25, 2016 18:14

High end PvE with a wiz - not sure although I would think that PBAOE would be wanted for this as well, cannot tell you if they use it in dragon raids as it has been a looooooooong time since I was on one :grin:

I will admit at this point that I have only ever done fire wiz (PvE & RvR) so am certainly not the foremost expert.

if you are wanting a high end PvE raiding style toon would you consider a Theurgist? PBT and pet spam I daresay would defo get you on raid grps I would think.

Nezix
Phoenix Knight

Postby Nezix » Jul 25, 2016 18:30

See my post a few replies down the 2nd page:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36116&start=15

Short version, explained:
Wizard isn't really great for raids because you basically bring two things:
a) damage add - super useful BUT also provided by Theurgist with PBT / pet spam
b) ice pbaoe - nice for specific encounters, but not all of them, and requires that spec.
Nezix - 50 Minstrel <The Band>

Merlin: Arthur, what is best in life?
Arthur: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their Lurikeens.

morry1000
Gryphon Knight

Postby morry1000 » Jul 25, 2016 21:25

Nezix wrote:See my post a few replies down the 2nd page:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36116&start=15

Short version, explained:
Wizard isn't really great for raids because you basically bring two things:
a) damage add - super useful BUT also provided by Theurgist with PBT / pet spam
b) ice pbaoe - nice for specific encounters, but not all of them, and requires that spec.

Yeah, that :grin: :grin:

Make a theurg

dvonipaja
Myrmidon

Postby dvonipaja » Jul 31, 2016 14:17

Wizards are the only Alb AoE DD class(any spec has at least one), necro and caby goes AoE dots, necro has a bomb

AoE is imo needed for high efficicency pulls on PvE

a single Theurgist in a group buffing hast + add seems to go OOP => 4 minutes regen ... only 1/2 pull pet spam (8%x3x3) before going to regen to rebuff...

Yes a wiz is mainly sitting through all the pulls and coming when aggro is managed but the best XP i ever had was with a 3 bomb set up in avalon city <Dreams> ^^
3 levels instead of 1 per evening play

I think wiz are mostly under loved for their real utility because people are not managing the pulls' aggroes and their own mana as they used to do it ...

BeachParty
Guardian

Postby BeachParty » Feb 01, 2017 17:31

Is it just me or does the snare on the ice nuke break on damage? I just switched from fire to ice and went from being able to kill orange mobs standing still to running around like a mad man trying to kite even yellows. My basic strategy when dolo has been Snare -> DD with debuff -> nonspec ice DD. I can only seem to kill blues before I have to run. Is this normal?

Sorfrost
Guardian

Postby Sorfrost » Feb 03, 2017 12:12

yes ofc it breaks on damage. if u want the mob to be perma snared u need to cast debuff dd, snare, snare etc.. i was ice till level 40 and i just switched to fire. HEAVEN.
Debuffbot - cab
Ablaze - wizard

onizukasensei
Myrmidon

Postby onizukasensei » Feb 03, 2017 13:27

Ice is Godlike for PvE, taking in mind that given group is worked around PbAoE, otherwise Wiz is gonna be minced.
Unfortunately Ice spec is a doubled edge issue.
Ice can't solo, duo as good as Fire can.

But an Ice Wiz, will be invited 7/10 times in PvE groups.

Return to Wizard