Air Theurgist

EvilAragorn
Warder

Postby EvilAragorn » Jan 06, 2017 00:38

Sadly I didn't get around to testing one but am very curious for opinions on this class. Seems like a lot of fun with pets, a great dd, speed, good power regen. Anyone have experience with this spec? Trying to decide between alb and midgard by tomorrow : )

hazelhimself
Gryphon Knight

Postby hazelhimself » Jan 06, 2017 01:04

niche spec. sadly not useful for bigger fights. there, the air pets just dont cut it with their low hp and duration. the nuke...is a nuke. its good but nothing special. the mezz is useless because you got a sorc for that. 10 sec pbt...well. okay. not much utility if you ask me.

in smallman on the other hand every aspect of the air theu can shine way brighter.

also: power regen? eh?

joshisanonymous
Myrmidon

Postby joshisanonymous » Feb 08, 2017 05:51

hazelhimself wrote:niche spec. sadly not useful for bigger fights. there, the air pets just dont cut it with their low hp and duration. the nuke...is a nuke. its good but nothing special. the mezz is useless because you got a sorc for that. 10 sec pbt...well. okay. not much utility if you ask me.

in smallman on the other hand every aspect of the air theu can shine way brighter.

also: power regen? eh?

The nuke is not really "nothing special". It's a damage type that enemies tend to ignore and so it can put out quite a bit of damage. I think you're right about it being generally better suited to solo and small groups, but it can still do very well in 8 mans, speaking from experience back in the day. Dropping a bunch of low level earth pets on enemy casters often works just as well as the giant ones, and it's a lot more fun being able to nuke people to smithereens as well instead of just being a pet spam bot.
*Current Lives*
Might pop in here on my BD sometimes.
(Atlas) Baudith/RM
*Past Lives*
(MLF) Levlin/Rang > (Bors) Kleib/RM > (Kay) Traep/Minst > (Lancelot Cluster) Chasis/Sav > (Ywain) Finnegin/Ment > (Uthgard) Mordigg/BD > (Phoenix) Kroll/SM > (BL2) Baud/Warlock

Wyzinski
Warder

Postby Wyzinski » Feb 08, 2017 06:48

I would have to agree, air theurg is a ton of fun. Just don't level as air.

I think it is way underrated. The DD easily takes out 1/3rd of an enemies health on a single cast and at 50 you are popping those bad boys off fast.

Nunki
Myrmidon

Postby Nunki » Feb 12, 2017 17:05

Wind is a good solo/small man or battleground spec.
It is nothing for RvR 8 man groups (at least the common ones).

Why?
- AE mezz is worthless in 8 man fights (lower range, lower radius, lower duration, than sorc mezz)
- DD is nice, but Theurgs job are rupting/petting, not really dd dmg ;)
- Wind pets are nice due to the not existing stun timer they give, but they are not fast (as earth pets) and still easy to clear, ice and earth pets are better for rupt ;)

45 Earth + 29 Ice could be a viable specfor group PvM and 8 man RvR.
- 6 sec pbt
- Earth and Ice pets are an amazing combination to rupt and hard to clear
- 29 Ice IF you nuke at any time. :D

Greetings
Last edited by Nunki on Mar 06, 2017 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

Charistoph
Warder

Postby Charistoph » Feb 16, 2017 21:29

My Theurg on Retail was more of a hybrid of Ice and Earth, and largely worked well. I had enough Earth for the 8 sec PBT, and the rest in Ice to give my base nuke some punch.

Of course tactics changed when Earth summoned glass elementals and the Ice Elementals became the tanking pets... I've heard that the pets have changed on Retail, though.

I used to have a whole write-up on the pros and cons of each Theurg spec. Probably deleted a long time ago, though.

Wow, still have it. I don't know when this last qualified, though, I think I last corrected it during Catacombs and not before Labyrinth. So so some of the pets stats may be off.

Best Theurg specs:

45W/25I (Blizzard) - Best damage spec. Uber Wind Nuke combined with Ice elementals "4tehwin". 2 types of 30s CC. Lousy for PvE grouping due to no G/PBT. Great for soloing and RvR/PvP.

45W/28E (Sandstorm/Blowhard) - Great damage spec. Uber Wind Nuke with minimal PBT. Also have green Earth Elementals for Epic/ML raids. 30s Mezz is only aoe CC. Previously considered the only viable spec for Theurgists who like to do something other than bot.

41I/35E or 39I/37E (Glacier) - Decent damage spec. No base Ice Nuke variance, Great Ice pets and aoe root CC. Decent PBT and minimal blue Earth pets. A swiss-army/jack-of-all-trades spec. You won't be hurting in any area of DAoC, though you won't be super-uber.

45E/25I (Rocky) - Minimal damage spec. Ice nuke variance will exist, but is tolerable. Main tools here are the Earth and Ice pets combined with 6 sec PBT.

Now, this is not a definitive list, but these are optimized for MOST users. Any other spec is VERY specialized, and do not maximize the spell lines available to Theurgists.

Earth Elementals come at 1, 7, 12, 20, 32, 40, & 48. They all last 60 secs, have the strongest melee attack, and are blue con from 32 on. Each spell past 32 increases damage and greatly increases speed (Abbadon did a test chasing down a Minstrel and the 48 caught him at Speed 5, but not when he was at Speed 5 and Sprinting). They are defensively weak, though. If you have a naked pet that can run speed 5, carries a polearm, and has a Con Debuff, that would be an Earth Elemental.

Ice Elementals come at 1, 7, 13, 18, 25, 32, 40, & 48. They all last 25 secs, have a fast casting Spirit-based DD/snare, and are blue con from 25 on. Each spell past 25 slightly increases damage and reduces resist rate, not as noticeable an increase as with the Earth Elementals, in fact the highest has only a 5% increase over the 25 spell. These Elementals can actually take hits. Their nukes fire off terribly quick, but will stop when the Elemental receives damage (causing any nuking pet to go into melee).

Wind Elementals come at 1, 7, 12, 20, & 32. They all last 20 secs, have the weakest melee attack but can proc a 1 sec non-immunizing stun, and are blue con at 32. These Elementals are generally considered worthless unless all you need is to interrupt a target for a VERY short period of time, or you send them en mass, so their procs will stun lock your target. To be honest, the main reason you spec in Wind is for the DD, and the second reason you spec in Wind is for the mezz. These Elementals are more to round out the class than to be defining.

All Elementals share some things in common. They are a bastard breed. They share some of the characteristics of pets, and some of the characteristics of spells. Elemental melee damage is Slash-based. They are Fire-&-Forget, and will stay on their target until their time is up, Stunned, Confused (or Amnesia'd, I forget), or dead, even if you die first. Since they are pets, they use their Caster's level to determine their ability to interrupt spells, much like a Druid's grey pet. The 1st level pet is 15% of your base power pool, the rest are 12%. They cannot be rooted or mezzed. They can be affected by the Convoker ML9 Ability. MoC will affect their life-span like it affect's your nukes damage. Each Elemental acts like a pet in determing attackers on a target, making Earth Elementals a must for Raids. Theurgists do not get access to any Pet RAs, so none of them affect Elementals. +Spell Lines do not affect them in any way other then improve their Focus benefits.

Hideurkids
Warder

Postby Hideurkids » Feb 16, 2017 21:58

Charistoph wrote:My Theurg on Retail was more of a hybrid of Ice and Earth, and largely worked well. I had enough Earth for the 8 sec PBT, and the rest in Ice to give my base nuke some punch.

Of course tactics changed when Earth summoned glass elementals and the Ice Elementals became the tanking pets... I've heard that the pets have changed on Retail, though.

I used to have a whole write-up on the pros and cons of each Theurg spec. Probably deleted a long time ago, though.

Wow, still have it. I don't know when this last qualified, though, I think I last corrected it during Catacombs and not before Labyrinth. So so some of the pets stats may be off.

Best Theurg specs:

45W/25I (Blizzard) - Best damage spec. Uber Wind Nuke combined with Ice elementals "4tehwin". 2 types of 30s CC. Lousy for PvE grouping due to no G/PBT. Great for soloing and RvR/PvP.

45W/28E (Sandstorm/Blowhard) - Great damage spec. Uber Wind Nuke with minimal PBT. Also have green Earth Elementals for Epic/ML raids. 30s Mezz is only aoe CC. Previously considered the only viable spec for Theurgists who like to do something other than bot.

41I/35E or 39I/37E (Glacier) - Decent damage spec. No base Ice Nuke variance, Great Ice pets and aoe root CC. Decent PBT and minimal blue Earth pets. A swiss-army/jack-of-all-trades spec. You won't be hurting in any area of DAoC, though you won't be super-uber.

45E/25I (Rocky) - Minimal damage spec. Ice nuke variance will exist, but is tolerable. Main tools here are the Earth and Ice pets combined with 6 sec PBT.

Now, this is not a definitive list, but these are optimized for MOST users. Any other spec is VERY specialized, and do not maximize the spell lines available to Theurgists.

Earth Elementals come at 1, 7, 12, 20, 32, 40, & 48. They all last 60 secs, have the strongest melee attack, and are blue con from 32 on. Each spell past 32 increases damage and greatly increases speed (Abbadon did a test chasing down a Minstrel and the 48 caught him at Speed 5, but not when he was at Speed 5 and Sprinting). They are defensively weak, though. If you have a naked pet that can run speed 5, carries a polearm, and has a Con Debuff, that would be an Earth Elemental.

Ice Elementals come at 1, 7, 13, 18, 25, 32, 40, & 48. They all last 25 secs, have a fast casting Spirit-based DD/snare, and are blue con from 25 on. Each spell past 25 slightly increases damage and reduces resist rate, not as noticeable an increase as with the Earth Elementals, in fact the highest has only a 5% increase over the 25 spell. These Elementals can actually take hits. Their nukes fire off terribly quick, but will stop when the Elemental receives damage (causing any nuking pet to go into melee).

Wind Elementals come at 1, 7, 12, 20, & 32. They all last 20 secs, have the weakest melee attack but can proc a 1 sec non-immunizing stun, and are blue con at 32. These Elementals are generally considered worthless unless all you need is to interrupt a target for a VERY short period of time, or you send them en mass, so their procs will stun lock your target. To be honest, the main reason you spec in Wind is for the DD, and the second reason you spec in Wind is for the mezz. These Elementals are more to round out the class than to be defining.

All Elementals share some things in common. They are a bastard breed. They share some of the characteristics of pets, and some of the characteristics of spells. Elemental melee damage is Slash-based. They are Fire-&-Forget, and will stay on their target until their time is up, Stunned, Confused (or Amnesia'd, I forget), or dead, even if you die first. Since they are pets, they use their Caster's level to determine their ability to interrupt spells, much like a Druid's grey pet. The 1st level pet is 15% of your base power pool, the rest are 12%. They cannot be rooted or mezzed. They can be affected by the Convoker ML9 Ability. MoC will affect their life-span like it affect's your nukes damage. Each Elemental acts like a pet in determing attackers on a target, making Earth Elementals a must for Raids. Theurgists do not get access to any Pet RAs, so none of them affect Elementals. +Spell Lines do not affect them in any way other then improve their Focus benefits.

Bravo. Such an excellent post w a lot of good tidbits in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charistoph
Warder

Postby Charistoph » Feb 17, 2017 06:54

Hideurkids wrote:Bravo. Such an excellent post w a lot of good tidbits in there.

Thank you. It had come from a lot of playtime in the Retail game and communication on IGN's VNBoards (hence the note about Abaddon).

I just hope that people who read it take into account that it does not address the changes that Team Uthgard have made to get the server where they want. This is very old information and does not reflect Retail at all. The last modified date is May of 2006, and I think it wasn't even changed for a year or two before that!

While I did enjoy playing my Friar and Slash Reaver, the Theurgist was my Main and the only class I ever got to 50. The Friar and Reaver were left at the level 24-25 on Retail.

Warriston
Myrmidon

Postby Warriston » Feb 17, 2017 17:40

Charistoph wrote:My Theurg on Retail was more of a hybrid of Ice and Earth, and largely worked well. I had enough Earth for the 8 sec PBT, and the rest in Ice to give my base nuke some punch.

Best Theurg specs:

Thank you so much for posting this, it really helps to have some more elaborate info for a change regarding theurg. I hope you stick around!

Warriston
Myrmidon

Postby Warriston » Feb 26, 2017 16:51

Hey, sorry for the double post! I have a question regarding the rest of the points in the smallman/solo rvr spec below.
If I go:
45 Air
25 Ice
2Earth for the first self BT

I now still have 134 Skill points left.
This means one can still alocate points without getting anything new.

Option 1 45-->47 air
Does this affect resist rate of the AE mezz and resist rate and DMG of the DD?
Option 2 25-->28 Ice
Does it affect baseline/spec root resist rates or time?
Option 3 2-->16 earth
Gives targeted BT spell, do you think this is worth it the occasional small man?

Thanks for any help on the above questions! Which way would you go, given the a.m. spec?

Nunki
Myrmidon

Postby Nunki » Mar 06, 2017 14:56

Warriston wrote:Option 1 45-->47 air
Does this affect resist rate of the AE mezz and resist rate and DMG of the DD?

It only affects max dmg and dmg variance of your dd. The resist rate only depends on the cast-lvl (eg. 45 for DD) and enemy lvl (eg. 50), so no. ;)

Warriston wrote:Option 2 25-->28 Ice
Does it affect baseline/spec root resist rates or time?

See above.

Warriston wrote:Option 3 2-->16 earth
Gives targeted BT spell, do you think this is worth it the occasional small man?

Targeted pbt would be the most viable Option of these 3 Options.

Altogether I would not choose this specc at all. If you want to go Wind, I would still go for 45 wind / 26 earth. With 10 sec pbt you gain at least a little bit PvE group viability. ;)

As a reminder, everyone will doom you for using your ae-mezz / ae-root in any kind of group or zerg RvR-fights. ;) For a good reason = free timer. :P

Wind is a strong solo PvE / PvP spec. Solo PvE 40+ will be hard as hell and regarding the actual population, occasions for solo PvP are quite rare. :P

Good luck and greetings!

Return to Theurgist