Weapon speed on minstrel

Knaller
Warder

Postby Knaller » May 22, 2017 17:40

Heyo,

To me, considering that mdps on minstrel is ****** anyways, it would make sense to go for the fastest possible weapon on a minstrel since it would increase your chance of landing side snare (in case of slash), increase chance of proc and to rupt in general...am I right on this or do people still go for slow weapons? And if so, why?
Cheers

Synderen
Myrmidon

Postby Synderen » May 23, 2017 10:17

Knaller wrote:Heyo,

To me, considering that mdps on minstrel is ****** anyways, it would make sense to go for the fastest possible weapon on a minstrel since it would increase your chance of landing side snare (in case of slash), increase chance of proc and to rupt in general...am I right on this or do people still go for slow weapons? And if so, why?
Cheers

I think it is situational.

In a group you would want a fast weapon for faster interrupt, procs and higher chance of sidesnaring.

For solo some might also want a fast weapon for the higher proc rate, but if you are kiting and sometimes just land 1 hit and run away again, a slower weapon will do best.
It also depends on how buffed you will be. A 2.6 might hit 1.5 speed cap fully buffed, where a 4.0 might get down to 1.7 speed, and then the difference between the speed is no longer that significant, as it is unbuffed.
Personally i prefer a slower weapon, as i like that the most when soloing and when grouped i am normally buffed(i do have a fast sword to swap with when needed tho).

pweet
Lion Knight

Postby pweet » May 23, 2017 10:20

proc chance scales with weapon speed, so a fast weapon will do the same proc dmg over time as a slow one.

Dromina
Myrmidon

Postby Dromina » May 23, 2017 17:52

For groupplay you should aim for cap swingspeed to get your peels off as fast as you can.

In group with a theurg you will get 19% haste buff, haste charge has 17% or you can run without haste. 60 base qui + 75 temped qui + 78 buffed qui gives you 213 qui.

now using
http://talsyra.tripod.com/daocmechanics ... speed.html
for swing speed calcs:

3.1 rapier without haste = 2.15
3.1 rapier with 19% haste = 1.74

2.9 longdirk without haste = 2.01
2.9 longdirk with 19% haste = 1.63

2.4 fortified stliletto without haste = 1.66
2.4 foritified stiletto with 19% haste = 1.5

-> thrust minst should use fortified stiletto without haste buffs and longdirk/fortified rapier with theurg haste buff.

2.8 fortified shortsword without haste = 1.94
2.8 fortified shortsword with 19% haste = 1.57

2.6 jambiya without haste = 1.80
2.6 jambiya with 19% haste = 1.5

-> slash minst should use jambiya without haste buffs and fortified shortsword with theurg haste.

Addition: If you want to play mostly/only in groups spec 44 thrust and 50 instruments. 27 second snare >>>> 12 second snare

This talk about 4.0 longswords or 3.9 rapiers is just crap. Minstrel's job in groups is not damage but rupt and peels. And you won't peel and rupt as good swinging only every 2.7 seconds... So get to cap swingspeed!
Slower weapons can be considered for solo play though.

Return to Minstrel