What to expect as a Minstrel?

aylictal
Myrmidon

Postby aylictal » Apr 28, 2017 21:09

Cirdan wrote:
aylictal wrote:
Makish wrote:+hit does not waht most ppl think anyway. it wont change ur chance to not get parryed/evaded/blocked at all.

long lasting 2style combo anytimer >>>>> low dura sidesnare

Wrong

+hit affected miss chance only on live servers. Not on uthgard.

Hit chance on styles only helps prevent misses.

If this is true then it differs from that which is on DOL code because I specifically remember looking this up roughly 10 yrs ago IE > i50 code, eden code, genesis code, etc.

Falken
Gryphon Knight

Postby Falken » Apr 30, 2017 07:51

Going to AT and try 50/44 and see how it is, can always consolidate the +thrust on my SC temp so that if it turns out to suck I can replace 2-3 pieces with +slash instead of the thrust. Appreciate all the feedbacks!!!
Hib - Falken (BM) / Sneakster (NS) / Kalfen (Enchanter) - Currently Inactive

Alb - Djfalken (Minstrel) - Inactive

Mid - Tooeasynothanks

Grunklestank
Myrmidon

Postby Grunklestank » Apr 30, 2017 21:39

Falken wrote:Going to AT and try 50/44 and see how it is, can always consolidate the +thrust on my SC temp so that if it turns out to suck I can replace 2-3 pieces with +slash instead of the thrust. Appreciate all the feedbacks!!!

Falken you dirty realm ditcher! >:f

(jk we all know Hib is a miserable purgatory - can't blame you)

I hope you have some PL lined up, because AT Minstrels are about the most hated thing in Alb (second only to AT Paladins LOL)
- Love,
Grunkle

Mordred <FE> <Validus> // Gareth (Ringer extraordinaire)

"Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines."

Budikah
Phoenix Knight

Postby Budikah » May 02, 2017 02:20

Work on your twisting skills whenever you can.

Not much is more depressing than a Minstrel who can't/won't bring a pet along. I'm sure it can be a pain, but it's going to allow you to just keep that many more people interrupted during a fight, and break your own mez/root/etc in a pinch.

Make sure to find some synergy with your healers - as a Cleric I find that many Minstrels go so deep that they end up out of range - which is partially the fault of the Cleric as well sometimes. I usually see Minstrels are the first ones to go down, and they'll be balls deep in the enemy line while the rest of us are tied up in our backline.

Know what type of group/strat you have at all times, so you don't waste SoS or cause actually damage to your groups chances with a badly timed SoS. Be vocal in comms about it.

You facilitate the party - be it zoomin, boomin, or singing power songs to quicken regen post/mid fight.

aylictal
Myrmidon

Postby aylictal » May 03, 2017 18:26

Budikah wrote:Make sure to find some synergy with your healers - as a Cleric I find that many Minstrels go so deep that they end up out of range - which is partially the fault of the Cleric as well sometimes. I usually see Minstrels are the first ones to go down, and they'll be balls deep in the enemy line while the rest of us are tied up in our backline.

Most of this is due to 700 range on every minstrel instant cast.

Skalds and Bards both have the luxury of having a 1500 range instant interupt of some kind.

Minstrels have 1500 interupts, but none of them are instants.

Also would like to throw in that orange con pets are the sweet spots for pets currently (level 52-55ish). You can use a red or a yellow but they come with drawbacks. The yellow is easily cc'able and easily killable. The reds are extremely difficult for both the opponent to deal with, and for you to keep up with with the current resist code that hopefully the devs will fix soon (it's #3/#4 highest rated issue on uthgard at the moment).

EDIT: linking issue from issue tracker: https://www2.uthgard.net/tracker/issue/ ... 't_in_1.65

Falken
Gryphon Knight

Postby Falken » May 03, 2017 22:05

Budikah wrote:Work on your twisting skills whenever you can.

Not much is more depressing than a Minstrel who can't/won't bring a pet along. I'm sure it can be a pain, but it's going to allow you to just keep that many more people interrupted during a fight, and break your own mez/root/etc in a pinch.

Make sure to find some synergy with your healers - as a Cleric I find that many Minstrels go so deep that they end up out of range - which is partially the fault of the Cleric as well sometimes. I usually see Minstrels are the first ones to go down, and they'll be balls deep in the enemy line while the rest of us are tied up in our backline.

Know what type of group/strat you have at all times, so you don't waste SoS or cause actually damage to your groups chances with a badly timed SoS. Be vocal in comms about it.

You facilitate the party - be it zoomin, boomin, or singing power songs to quicken regen post/mid fight.

Yeah, I really wish I could play my class while leveling to practice mechanics and getting used to swapping for all the various activities I need to be doing, but sadly I don't get to actually play until I hit 48... guess I will have 2 levels of practice and then suck for the first week or two and hope nobody notices while I practice since ATing instruments is pretty stupid on a class that revolves around instruments.

Mid - Tooeasynothanks

Budikah
Phoenix Knight

Postby Budikah » May 04, 2017 00:27

Falken wrote:

Yeah, I really wish I could play my class while leveling to practice mechanics and getting used to swapping for all the various activities I need to be doing, but sadly I don't get to actually play until I hit 48... guess I will have 2 levels of practice and then suck for the first week or two and hope nobody notices while I practice since ATing instruments is pretty stupid on a class that revolves around instruments.

I agree. An attempt was made before launch, but terrible game mechanics are part of the Uthgard charm.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36746

Jsx
Guardian

Postby Jsx » May 04, 2017 04:03

Welcome to Alb. If you need any help, I gave Vlalkor about 10 plat. I think he upgraded his house with it though.

Dromina
Myrmidon

Postby Dromina » May 04, 2017 10:14

Falken wrote:

AT till 48 is not worth the pain to get there in my eyes:
- AT till 36 is enough to be able to skill 44 thrust and 50 instruments but you lose 1 possible point in stealth for stealth spec (only 50 instru 30 slash 32 stealth)
- AT till 40 is the sweet spot in my eyes because you only lose 1 point in slash for stealth spec and 29 or 30 makes no big difference (50 instru 29 slash 33 stealth)
- AT till 48 gives you 50 instru 30 slash 33 stealth

Budikah
Phoenix Knight

Postby Budikah » May 04, 2017 22:16

AT is one of those weird things that I feel people are compelled to do by their desire to max out their character, but depending on your spec/class the minor failures you make in an actual fight are going to matter more than a few minor percentage points, as long as you can get all the weapon moves/spells you need that is.

Ruckuz1983
Myrmidon

Postby Ruckuz1983 » May 08, 2017 08:07

Kha wrote:It's not perfect,
It's a low realm rank group in this video pug vs pug.
Anyway it can give an idea of the rupt job.

Oh and i purged mezz because minstrel release button was broken for the past 10 months (bug 1911) , got fixed few weeks ago tho. You can now use pet to break mezz/root/snare very easily.

Anyway good luck for this adventure. Really fun character to play. :wink:
Sometimes hard, LOT of of things to do in a fight and if you screw up everyone will know.
But if you rupt 3 or 4 people at the same time, group may not notice ^^

Slash has never been a problem for me.
I prefer a one hit to snare rather than a combo that use a NO bonus to hit opening.

This player is a horrible minstrel. you should be running around mezzing to interupt and when remezz timer is up you should be rotating the backfield with mez spam. . you shouldn't need to stick anyone as you want to float in the middle of 3 people and use your other instas are for interrupts. 1 person locked down by mezz spam, then 1 with pet, then 1-2 with insta's/rotating mez spam.

do not do what this person did. horrible minstrel.
Infection 50 Shaman
Alliant 50 Runemaster

Kha
Gryphon Knight

Postby Kha » May 08, 2017 10:30

@Ruckuz1983 : I love you to :lol: :D Some rage here ? Got some fight rupted 100% or what ? :twisted:

As i said, it's not perfect, but not terrible either.
Was just a way to show rupt on several target at the same time. Using pet on one (melee or mezz spam on another) and use instants 1 by 1 on one or Two different targets.

You seems to be the suprem player, that play sham aswell, so you know it's very easy to rupt a flute mezz & prevent rupts.
NS is also a thing i heard .... Yes it is ... but you play runemaster probably n°1 on everything, so you must know that aswell.

So, NO, it's not totally dumb to melee one, while pet melee another (especially when they don't kite like this fight, you can ADAPT), finally you use instas 1 by 1 to rupt a third/+.
When they finally Split (sham & healer) there no choice but flute mezz/rupt, wich i did => adapt.

The priority is to adapt to the fight & opponent back-line do they kite ? Are they stacked ? Some of them CC'ed or rupted by theurg already ?
With your only truth and nothing else, you made me laugh a bit. But why not, that's YOUR pov Ruckuz1983 ;)

Falken
Gryphon Knight

Postby Falken » May 09, 2017 12:48

Dromina wrote:
Falken wrote:

AT till 48 is not worth the pain to get there in my eyes:
- AT till 36 is enough to be able to skill 44 thrust and 50 instruments but you lose 1 possible point in stealth for stealth spec (only 50 instru 30 slash 32 stealth)
- AT till 40 is the sweet spot in my eyes because you only lose 1 point in slash for stealth spec and 29 or 30 makes no big difference (50 instru 29 slash 33 stealth)
- AT till 48 gives you 50 instru 30 slash 33 stealth

I recently came to discover this as well, those last 8 levels of ATing just aren't worth all the pain and time of being useless to a group. Thanks for passing it along.

Mid - Tooeasynothanks

aylictal
Myrmidon

Postby aylictal » May 11, 2017 22:27

You want to know why no one posts videos of minstrels?

Because it's the hardest class in the game to play.

It's expected to mess up some of the time on the class. It's how you deal with it is what makes playing the class so fun.

I posted the only minstrel video I could find of uth2 on the forums here, and was bashed, but I don't really care. Check it out if you have time.

Grunklestank
Myrmidon

Postby Grunklestank » May 12, 2017 07:22

aylictal wrote:Because it's the hardest class in the game to play.

This. It's undoubtedly in the top 3 most difficult classes to play well in 8v8, and as far as highest skill cap, I think I'd have to 100% agree that Minstrel is #1.

Want to be a godlike DAOC legend that the kiddies still talk about in 2032 on their hoverboards? Learn to play a Minstrel to the class's full 8man potential.
- Love,
Grunkle

Mordred <FE> <Validus> // Gareth (Ringer extraordinaire)

"Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines."

PreviousNext

Return to Minstrel