What to expect as a Minstrel?

Falken
Gryphon Knight

Postby Falken » Apr 24, 2017 23:11

Planning to play minstrel for a group of friends, and I have never played one. I am mechanically sound and can figure out how to play just about anything, I don't expect to be doing everything perfectly. However, I would like to get an idea of what is in store for me.

I will primarily be doing 8v8 so I am thinking towards 44 thrust / 50 instru and fully ATing.

The only other viable spec I really considered was 30 slash / 33 stealth / 50 instru for the possibility of stealth groups. Is the 2 skill chain snare in thrust really that amazing for 8v8? I know the initial skill in the chain has no +hit to it, so I was hoping somebody has been using this and comment about how reliable it is.

Is there one race / starting stats that outshine the others?

Appreciate the input!
Hib - Falken (BM) / Sneakster (NS) / Kalfen (Enchanter) - Currently Inactive

Alb - Djfalken (Minstrel) - Inactive

Mid - Tooeasynothanks

aylictal
Myrmidon

Postby aylictal » Apr 24, 2017 23:59

go thrust if you have a set group. not only does it have better styles, it is a better damage type for most of thing you're gonna be hitting.

go slash if you don't, or if you want to solo at all.

e r i c=
Myrmidon

Postby e r i c= » Apr 25, 2017 07:44

Switching targets and floating interrupts will be your main job.
c=

seanbud
Myrmidon

Postby seanbud » Apr 25, 2017 10:49

Falken wrote:Planning to play minstrel for a group of friends, and I have never played one. I am mechanically sound and can figure out how to play just about anything, I don't expect to be doing everything perfectly. However, I would like to get an idea of what is in store for me.

I will primarily be doing 8v8 so I am thinking towards 44 thrust / 50 instru and fully ATing.

The only other viable spec I really considered was 30 slash / 33 stealth / 50 instru for the possibility of stealth groups. Is the 2 skill chain snare in thrust really that amazing for 8v8? I know the initial skill in the chain has no +hit to it, so I was hoping somebody has been using this and comment about how reliable it is.

Is there one race / starting stats that outshine the others?

Appreciate the input!

the minst I used to play with was super underwhelmed by the 44 thrust snare. vs the targets u want to snare, they'll evade/block/parry/pbt one of the two most of the time. with minst weaponskill it's too unreliable.

I've played with good minstrels lately that land good side slicers that get the job done when needed. so I'd recommend going slash spec. Also as a nice bonus, u won't have to autotrain if u go slash, so levelling will be more fun.

Your role in 8v8 is to keep speed up, and chain flute mezzes while timing your stun, dds, and confuse to keep at minimum 2 healers or casters tied up. If you want to maximize your effectiveness, get used to charming a pet and controlling it while u level. it's part of the class, takes some getting used to, and is not optional if you want to succeed in 8v8. the sooner u get used to twisting in a pet charm and controlling it well during fights, the sooner you'll unlock the max potential for minst.

Kha
Gryphon Knight

Postby Kha » Apr 25, 2017 11:20

It's not perfect,
It's a low realm rank group in this video pug vs pug.
Anyway it can give an idea of the rupt job.

Oh and i purged mezz because minstrel release button was broken for the past 10 months (bug 1911) , got fixed few weeks ago tho. You can now use pet to break mezz/root/snare very easily.

Anyway good luck for this adventure. Really fun character to play. :wink:
Sometimes hard, LOT of of things to do in a fight and if you screw up everyone will know.
But if you rupt 3 or 4 people at the same time, group may not notice ^^

Slash has never been a problem for me.
I prefer a one hit to snare rather than a combo that use a NO bonus to hit opening.

Kha
Gryphon Knight

Postby Kha » Apr 25, 2017 11:32

aylictal wrote:go thrust, [...] it is a better damage type

Forget that part, you won't do any damage. (Except if you fancy use high level pet)
It's not the job anyway.

You use the fastest weapon you can find, to rupt / snare faster when needed. (Atleast i do 2.6 jamb)

Falken
Gryphon Knight

Postby Falken » Apr 26, 2017 00:24

Kha wrote:

Forget that part, you won't do any damage. (Except if you fancy use high level pet)
It's not the job anyway.

You use the fastest weapon you can find, to rupt / snare faster when needed. (Atleast i do 2.6 jamb)

Yeah this was my thinking for sure, the only real difference between slash and thrust is side snare vs 2 style anytime snare, but no +hit on first style so peeling targets with 360 evade could prove troublesome. Either way it will be fine, I am going to AT, so both options will be available.

Mid - Tooeasynothanks

Stasis
Eagle Knight

Postby Stasis » Apr 26, 2017 09:21

When solo you want slowest weapon and in grp you want fastest. For slash What is weapon names?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makish
Gryphon Knight

Postby Makish » Apr 26, 2017 12:55

Falken wrote:
Kha wrote:

It's not the job anyway.

Yeah this was my thinking for sure, the only real difference between slash and thrust is side snare vs 2 style anytime snare, but no +hit on first style so peeling targets with 360 evade could prove troublesome. Either way it will be fine, I am going to AT, so both options will be available.

+hit does not waht most ppl think anyway. it wont change ur chance to not get parryed/evaded/blocked at all.

long lasting 2style combo anytimer >>>>> low dura sidesnare
Ololofeld - BD - Lyo/Mid

Falken
Gryphon Knight

Postby Falken » Apr 26, 2017 19:05

Stasis wrote:When solo you want slowest weapon and in grp you want fastest. For slash What is weapon names?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure they will be crafted weapons, unless you are lucky enough to get a dragon sword which can't really be counted upon :P

Mid - Tooeasynothanks

aylictal
Myrmidon

Postby aylictal » Apr 26, 2017 22:31

Makish wrote:+hit does not waht most ppl think anyway. it wont change ur chance to not get parryed/evaded/blocked at all.

Wrong

+hit affected miss chance only on live servers. Not on uthgard.

Falken
Gryphon Knight

Postby Falken » Apr 27, 2017 03:23

Demograth wrote:were in trouble =P

we're*

Mid - Tooeasynothanks

Cirdan
Eagle Knight

Postby Cirdan » Apr 27, 2017 04:27

aylictal wrote:
Makish wrote:+hit does not waht most ppl think anyway. it wont change ur chance to not get parryed/evaded/blocked at all.

Wrong

Hit chance on styles only helps prevent misses.

Makish
Gryphon Knight

Postby Makish » Apr 27, 2017 10:42

Cirdan wrote:
aylictal wrote:

Wrong

this.
Ololofeld - BD - Lyo/Mid

Kha
Gryphon Knight

Postby Kha » Apr 28, 2017 15:37

Cirdan wrote:

Yup, and if we consider minst have the weaponskill of an asthmatic goldfish, we need all the help we can get.

27 second snare is very sexy. Miss, Miss, Evade, Miss, Parry, Evade, Evade, Miss... isn't. (Caricature, but still...)

Next

Return to Minstrel