Minstrel Spec Question

mrmaxhole
Warder

Postby mrmaxhole » Mar 08, 2017 06:04

Hello all, decided to delve back into my youth and play daoc again. I have a few RL friends I will be playing with, cleric/undecided(cabby,friar,sorc,merc) plan on soloing as well, and running 8 man groups. I made a brit and am working on AT currently but don't know how long I will make it. My question is what should I be aiming for with a final spec? I was thinking 50inst/29slash/3x stealth depending on how far I make it AT. Should I even bother with more than 25 stealth if I only plan on being stealth to solo/hide/random encounters with friendly stealthers. How big of a dmg increase is higher weapon? Is 44 thrust worthy?
I play Skald

Nezix
Phoenix Knight

Postby Nezix » Mar 08, 2017 06:19

This is my opinion:

Don't bother with AT unless you either want to go 44 thrust or have someone to seriously power level you. At the end of the day minstrel is a very high skill cap class and +2 or 3 in your weapon or stealth won't make much difference.

In 8v8 you have a lot of busy work to do. Not much of it involves using styles. I will throw out side snares sometimes, so I could see the 44 thrust style having some value, but I don't think it's necessary.

You're not going to hit hard no matter what your weapon spec is, Minstrel is just on a very low damage table.

If you plan on more stealth wars stuff then I'd go 50 Instruments, 29 Slash, and the rest in Stealth. If not, something like 50 Instruments, 25 Stealth (for climb walls) and the rest in your weapon.
Nezix - 50 Minstrel <The Band>

Merlin: Arthur, what is best in life?
Arthur: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their Lurikeens.

mrmaxhole
Warder

Postby mrmaxhole » Mar 08, 2017 06:57

Appreciate the insight. Think I am going to go 25s/50inst/34slash. AT won't get me 39 slash, correct? What kind of real difference is the 3x stealth over the 3x slash? I know it's the stun off block combo, or higher move speed and slightly less likely to be seen? by whom?
I play Skald

Nezix
Phoenix Knight

Postby Nezix » Mar 08, 2017 16:05

mrmaxhole wrote:Appreciate the insight. Think I am going to go 25s/50inst/34slash. AT won't get me 39 slash, correct? What kind of real difference is the 3x stealth over the 3x slash? I know it's the stun off block combo, or higher move speed and slightly less likely to be seen? by whom?

Correct, the highest you could get would be +2 for 37 Slash (with 25 stealth).

Each point in stealth decreases the range a non-stealther could see you by somewhere between 20 and 25 units. Here are some notes I took in beta:
(based on 20u per point)
With about 40 composite stealth, detection range was about 300 against non-stealther.
With auto train, at RR5 (28 + 11 + 4) = 43 = 240 range to detect
Without, at RR5 (26 + 11 + 4) = 41 = 280 range to detect

Supposedly the minimum range is 128u.

Keep in mind this is standing still and slowly inching forward to test. In reality, stealth detection is not on or off so if someone speeds by while you are stealthed they may not see you even if they run right over you. Assassin types are always going to have an easy time of finding you once they get See Hidden regardless of how you spec your stealth. This was a big reason I didn't want to bother with stealth wars as a minstrel and a pet is so important trying to kill something solo.
Nezix - 50 Minstrel <The Band>

Merlin: Arthur, what is best in life?
Arthur: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their Lurikeens.

aylictal
Myrmidon

Postby aylictal » Mar 08, 2017 18:59

It's not like speccing 39 slash would really give you anything beneficial other than base damage will be effectively capped.

Backslash sucks for the most part. I have both a merc and a minstrel now on this server, and while my merc is 39 slash specced, backslash was removed off my bar a long time ago because of it's ridiculously high endurance cost.

Sector7G
Warder

Postby Sector7G » May 01, 2017 03:12

If you were able to spec 50 inst 25 stealth 39 weapon, most would consider 39 thrust as it's a Side ASR, which is a beneficial style to use at the end of a stun.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Return to Minstrel