Minstrel RAs in 1.65

Splodeyfish
Warder

Postby Splodeyfish » Dec 31, 2016 11:33

Hi guys, looking for some advice on RAs in 1.65 for mincers.

I will be running a 50inst/30weap/30stealth spec and plan on doing a reasonable amount of soloing with pet plus a bit of group play (8man/small man).

Could anyone recommend what RAs would be essential? Or at the very least, essential for soloing with pet?
SoS, Purge, IP? MCL?

Thanks in advance :)

Kha
Gryphon Knight

Postby Kha » Dec 31, 2016 12:15

First of all that's just my opinion. Certainly not the best.

You'll need (in priority order) :

Longwind (2) ****
SOS
Purge
Avoidance of magic (atleast 3)
First Aid
Ignore Pain (should be around RR8)

(MCL is optionnal i think, i bought this RA but never got a use for it, or very very rarely.)
(Unfortunately, no wild minion for minstrel on 1.65 it seems could have been a great RA for solo. Btw is it legit or a bug ?)

*** (i went LW3 for solo purpose during beta, it allow you to twist until OOE
then you use blue invigoration and will be able to sprint + twist + regen after 2 minutes you end-up with 100% endo again) Also, if a FG chase you from druim ligen to APK (yes some of them does that :twisted: ) you'll be able to perma sprint+twist, they can't reach you at all). With lw2 you won't be able to sprint & regen.

selitos
Warder

Postby selitos » Dec 31, 2016 13:49

as Kha said - Longwind will be your first ability to get - even if you will still be Out of Endurance by twisting songs / charm while running with a pet. But tireless kinda sucks here - so no need for that ability.

MCL is not so useful as it sounds - mana should not be the biggest problem - and you could have some instant mana refill potions with you to cover that rare case where you need it. i never did anyways and had the ability with me aswell...

so my prioriy list will be:

1st Long Wind (2 or 3, i will see how often it is really needed, i will have some endu pots with me all the time - so yeah... depends)
2nd SOS. because: SOS is the best ability available for minstrel
3rd Purge. Because i hate assassins and they will want to eat me. Purge their poisons - purge their stuns and win.
4th First Aid 2 because
5th IP. 100%, nice value.

thats 5L7 if im not mistaken with LW2

if you got that you are set. In my opinion. after purge before first aid its an option to spec some passives and respec when you got the realm rank for it - but i dont know if i'll have the funds to do so ...

These are the active ras needed for solo.

i dont have looked into the passives yet because those active ras are quite essential for solo minstrel id say. but if you got to almost rr6 solo you should know what passive ras suits your playstyle most.

Kha
Gryphon Knight

Postby Kha » Dec 31, 2016 14:03

@ Selitos don't forget Avoidance of magic ... am kinda sure it comes before a 30 min cooldown IH RA. (Even for solo).

Or if you go IP first, then AoM seems to be the last big thing you need (3 or +)

Thalien
Phoenix Knight

Postby Thalien » Dec 31, 2016 14:43

Why avoidance of magic?
Fabienne - Blademaster
Junia - Bard
Audrina - Ench
-----
Zoe - Sorc
Stella - Pala
Devon - Scout

selitos
Warder

Postby selitos » Dec 31, 2016 16:44

i can imagine Avoidance of Magic against Poisondmg from other assassins and other procrelated damage on weapons / armors...

I do agree defence should be a big issue for a minstrel. especially when we've got those active ras. But i would take a 100% heal and first aid 2 (still a very strong ability for a cc potent char like the minstrel) anytime over AoM. I know - Avoidance of Magic is passive and net you 9% magic resistances anytime... but i personally would even prefer toughness over AoM ... i mean ... 3% hp against 3% magical resistances ? not a bad trade i'd say. it used to be even better with fixed values - but well ... 6% more hp for 4 Realm points ?

or i would prefer augmented acurity in terms of dd damage... 1 point of charisma roughly translates to 1 point of damage... its not much - but each dd doing 18 more damage with aug acu 3.

there are much options for a minstrel - and you will not be rr6 and say: oh my gosh - i dont know where to spend my points to ... because a lot of abilities are viable for such a complex class as the minstrel. and as you can see - different playstyles favour different abilities. there is no right or wrong way to spec your minstrel, well - out of these ras at least. you could go for melee ras and gimp your minstrel - because your melee will never be really your strong suit.

thats my thoughts on minstrel ras. maybe im totally mistaken - but thats as far my thoerycrafting goes.

moha
Myrmidon

Postby moha » Dec 31, 2016 16:48

OF toughness only works with your base hp and ignores equip so it's not really useful.

Kha
Gryphon Knight

Postby Kha » Dec 31, 2016 17:24

selitos wrote:i can imagine Avoidance of Magic against Poisondmg from other assassins and other procrelated damage on weapons / armors...

As a solo minst, there is (imo) two dangers :
SB & NS (yes poisons) and Skald (instants DD dmg [AoM], and hard to kite if played well because of instant snare & mezz)
Any melee enemy can be easily kited
Any caster can be rupted ''easily" also. (Even if chanter underhill pet will cast you magic damage [AoM] and mentalist can turn pet on you)
Last edited by Kha on Jan 01, 2017 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

Splodeyfish
Warder

Postby Splodeyfish » Jan 01, 2017 01:32

Thank you guys for the info - much appreciated :)

aylictal
Myrmidon

Postby aylictal » Apr 12, 2017 19:06

Currently for me (3l7):

SOS
Purge
FA1

On the bucket list order:
FA2
IP
LW2
AOM4

You could go the route of avoid pain, but honestly, I don't find it as worthwhile as AOM. I went pure actives first before any passives, even longwind I'm ignoring, because the actives I find are much more worthwhile and can change a fight far before any passives ever could for a minstrel.

The only passive that I'd change my mind on being higher priority than actives would be wild power, but unfortunately, we can't access that here.

SOS and purge should be every minstrels first two ra's though. Playing without either sucks. Playing with both, I have 0 trouble against any ns or sb and the only class in the game I struggle with solo are skalds without a pet and that's only because mids have 5-6 relics, where their dd's just flat out hit harder than mine and there's nothing I can do about that.

Ardri
Eagle Knight

Postby Ardri » Apr 13, 2017 01:40

By far the best in this order:

1) LW1
2) EDIT* SOS
3) EDIT* Purge
4) FA2
5) IP
6) LW2

That's 5L7

7) Whatever else you want.
Last edited by Ardri on Apr 25, 2017 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
<Bushido>
Ardri - Minstrel
Quickonthedraw - Cabalist
Bareknucklechamp - Merc

http://imgur.com/P2fR3JZ

Batgirl
Warder

Postby Batgirl » Apr 13, 2017 14:03

Tireless worth?

Inviato dal mio Nexus 6 utilizzando Tapatalk

Bzo
Warder

Postby Bzo » Apr 13, 2017 16:25

Ardri wrote:By far the best in this order:

1) LW1
2) Purge
3) SOS
4) FA2
5) IP
6) LW2

That's 5L7

SOS before purge especially if you don't play solo :)

aylictal
Myrmidon

Postby aylictal » Apr 17, 2017 20:27

Bzo wrote:

1) LW1
2) Purge
3) SOS
4) FA2
5) IP
6) LW2

That's 5L7

even solo it's better. if a ns or sb pops you and they purge your stun, its lights out without sos.

Ardri
Eagle Knight

Postby Ardri » Apr 25, 2017 15:26

Bzo wrote:

1) LW1
2) Purge
3) SOS
4) FA2
5) IP
6) LW2

That's 5L7

Yea i'd probably say that too now after 8v8'ing more. Although it doesn't matter too much as you get 3L1 pretty quick anyway.
<Bushido>
Ardri - Minstrel
Quickonthedraw - Cabalist
Bareknucklechamp - Merc

http://imgur.com/P2fR3JZ

Next

Return to Minstrel