Minstrel Pet Charm

threer
Myrmidon

Postby threer » Jul 04, 2018 15:18

No! Charm is a pulse, but it doesn't require you playing an instrument. Think about it like being a Skald shout which is different to e.g. Minstrels Speed song which requires a Drum to be active.

The OP was referring to his Drum having +5 Instruments skill which he loses when switching to his Sword and Shield. Lesson learned here is: Always cap your Instruments skill (+11) with Sword and Shield!

aylictal
Myrmidon

Postby aylictal » Jul 06, 2018 22:06

Stasis wrote:thanks for the replay

Will i be able to get group slots (after 20) as one of two melee to taunt mobs in hybrid grps?
I will solo task to 20.

Minstrels are terrible for exp groups. If a group groups you they are more or less being nice to you and allowing you to leech when another class is likely more beneficial. ideal level group is pala, theurg, cleric, friar, then 4 mercs or something equivalent. while pom is nice, a sorc isn't absolutely necessary, especially with theurg to root pull anyway since hes not gonna be doing anything else other than having pbt up hasting every 10 mins or so. so, you'd have to fight for a spot taken most likely by a merc, which is gonna do significantly more damage than you, even if you have a pet.

its unfortunate, and it sucks, but minstrels aren't really meant for pve. they are a pvp centered class.

you may get more lucky the lower level you are (20s like you said), but expect being rejected in your 40-50 run from groups.

Kha
Gryphon Knight

Postby Kha » Jul 14, 2018 07:19

aylictal wrote:
Stasis wrote:thanks for the replay

Will i be able to get group slots (after 20) as one of two melee to taunt mobs in hybrid grps?
I will solo task to 20.

Minstrels are terrible for exp groups. If a group groups you they are more or less being nice to you and allowing you to leech when another class is likely more beneficial. ideal level group is pala, theurg, cleric, friar, then 4 mercs or something equivalent. while pom is nice, a sorc isn't absolutely necessary, especially with theurg to root pull anyway since hes not gonna be doing anything else other than having pbt up hasting every 10 mins or so. so, you'd have to fight for a spot taken most likely by a merc, which is gonna do significantly more damage than you, even if you have a pet.

its unfortunate, and it sucks, but minstrels aren't really meant for pve. they are a pvp centered class.

you may get more lucky the lower level you are (20s like you said), but expect being rejected in your 40-50 run from groups.

please, come again ??
Trust me good minstrels are WANTED in exp groups. Just need to know what you are doing.

aylictal
Myrmidon

Postby aylictal » Sep 28, 2018 18:07

That damage is still pitiful compared to the damage a fully buffed merc will spit out as well as the utility that a merc can immediately pull a mob off onto himself and there is no problems. Forget also that pets steal xp if they deal a certain amount of damage to a mob.

Minstrels are garbage at pve. Its 2018. Its time to come to terms and realize what classes are good at and what they aren't so good at.

I main a minstrel here on uthgard, but I also have a merc, and have leveled both to 50. I can run some average metrics if you'd like on actual dps and its not even close when comparing merc to minstrel with a pet.

joga
Myrmidon

Postby joga » Sep 28, 2018 18:38

aylictal wrote:... to the damage a fully buffed merc will spit out as well as the utility that a merc can immediately pull a mob off onto himself and there is no problems.

I completely agree and what you described holds true for me as well.
A little off topic. I also leveled a minstrel for rvr and am now at 44 with my merc. It's an amazing class and I don't really understand why there are so few actively playing. Out of question, arms and reaver each got their advantages and merc is not without disadvantage, but the damage you deal with dualwield on double damage add and haste, while being able to switch to blocking in an instant is incredible. Combined with det5 and pf it truely is a force to be reckoned with.
What Albion needs are more mercs, and more sorc in my opinion.

virulent-
Gryphon Knight

Postby virulent- » Nov 26, 2018 05:43

yes.........
Drastic / Blademistaire / Kardashian
<Ravensworn> of Hibernia, Palomides 2001 - 2002 *** <Triggered> of Albion, Uthgard2 2017 - 2021

Previous

Return to Minstrel