Minstrel for solo PvP... legit or RP cow?

drastic
Myrmidon

Postby drastic » May 08, 2016 06:38

The first PvP toon I played seriously in DAOC was a Minstrel, and I'm interested in doing it all over again for old-times sake.

But is this going to be an exercise in futility & frustration? I'm afraid that even with composite 50 in the skill, my crappy stealth will just set me up for getting chain farmed by assassins (like I'm afraid a melee ranger would, for example)... and that's assuming that I even manage to find other solo'ers to fight "fair."

What do you guys think? Is this viable? Or just an all around bad idea, and I should just roll an Infil?
- Gabe

Alb/Kay, Mordred, Gareth
(Mordred for life son!)

Arzu
Warder

Postby Arzu » May 08, 2016 14:41

Minstrel are very viable if you know how to play it.. I would go as far as saying minstrels are top of the food chain 1on1. If you want inspiration on how to play one on uthgard, look for videos from Nag.

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk
Daoc US Hib/Merlin 2001 - 2004. Arzural/Lahar/Arzubel

drastic
Myrmidon

Postby drastic » May 08, 2016 14:55

Arzu wrote:Minstrel are very viable if you know how to play it.. I would go as far as saying minstrels are top of the food chain 1on1. If you want inspiration on how to play one on uthgard, look for videos from Nag.

That's awesome to hear! Thanks man :)
- Gabe

Alb/Kay, Mordred, Gareth
(Mordred for life son!)

Autarch
Gryphon Knight

Postby Autarch » May 08, 2016 15:06

And concerning your stealth, it can be fun aswell to duo/trio with inf/scout. In a ninja commando you can play thé deadly bait

KingKaj
Myrmidon

Postby KingKaj » May 08, 2016 17:01

On classic with old ra and if the pet charm isn't buggy and ofc if you are a skilled player you can dominate with mincer solo easy small man grps and ******.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Onze
Warder

Postby Onze » May 09, 2016 17:10

Guess with mincer you have the potential to dominate, but from my experience mincer is one of the hardest classes to play in classic setting:

No perma pet, you have to switch instruments.... am I right?

I have to admit, I was only capable to play mincer more or less successful on live servers with perma pet and harp :oops: But it was really fun, to mezz bone army BDs out of stealth and feel their desperation :D

Arzu
Warder

Postby Arzu » May 10, 2016 08:16

Pet is not really needed to be successful in solo pvp.
Against melee. dd, dd, kite - repeat. If you get caught. Use one of your 3 ways to gain range. Stun/ mezz/ sos or pop an end pot. then dd, dd, kite. Repeat.

Against casters you need to rupt, but as a minstrel this is what you do best. If they pop moc, stun - mezz, run out of range until it's over. The hard part is not screwing up in the process. Minstrel requires good game knowledge and fast reactions.

Daoc US Hib/Merlin 2001 - 2004. Arzural/Lahar/Arzubel

Umilard
Warder

Postby Umilard » Sep 20, 2016 15:49

Minstrel will probably be stronger here than back on live with the lack of buffbots. Alot of the minstrels damage comes from the DDs and they are not affected by buffs.. if a minstrel gets the jump he will have alot of frontload damage, an ideal fight would probably start with dd+dd+mezz, wait for the DDs to recycle, pop endpot and attack with dd+dd+stun+weaponstyle x 3, that probably adds up to around 1000 damage before the opponent can start hitting back.. ideal fights are kinda rare tho..

It's also a class that gets a LOT stronger with high RR. A RR9ish minstrel going towards only active RAs (which i recommend) would have sos, purge, fa2, ip, aug con3 and avoid pain3. Add that to the flexibility of the minstrel class and you have a monster if controlled properly.

With a good pet minstrel is just plain broken even if the pets are a pain in the butt to control properly.. With a buffed frost stallion back on live i sometimes beat 3-man groups solo without even hitting them. After a while i got no joy by killing using Ellyls / Icestriders / Stallions so i stopped using them and even without pets i won like 9/10 1on1 fights in the late SI days (rr7 minstrel).

You also have the option of running some of the strongest duos in the game if teamed up with either inf or scout.. Very nice synergy with both classes..

Torgen
Myrmidon

Postby Torgen » Sep 20, 2016 16:49

Imho if you know how to use it Minstrel is the most OP and versatile class in the game. It simply is very bloated compared to most other chars.

CC, Stealth, Speed, Evade 2, Chain armor, Charming orange pets, good damage from dd+melee, SOS. Do I need to say more?

It's hard to master but once you master the class it is ez mode 1on1. Plus you can run in 8v8 groups, small man and stealth grps.
So one of the best choices if you dont want to level many toons but see it all.

And dont be afraid of getting eaten by Assasins like rangers do. If you want to solo you can run unstealthed with a pet, popping endu regen pot if you nee to escape FGs or anything. If you want to play the stealthgame, minstrel is best fit for small man staelth grps. You play bait, some assassin will try to PA you, you stun them and let the two infiltrators standing right next to you PA them :P.

Forb
Myrmidon

Postby Forb » Sep 28, 2016 18:54

we will see how low RR mincers work vs 900 range see hidden, getting PA + CD on 100% of fights vs assassins is too much imo

NAg videos are awsome, bu remember its new RAs on that video, wich mean 5 min purge vs debuff potions

pweet
Lion Knight

Postby pweet » Sep 28, 2016 20:02

Dont go solo, except you are a mid or a reaver

relvinian
Phoenix Knight

Postby relvinian » Sep 29, 2016 01:09

kill xpers 1-40. Run from higher levels or groups.
https://www.uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37632

Players can greatly contribute to a server if you let them.

Uthgard, still the best server. Thanks, Devs.

Torgen
Myrmidon

Postby Torgen » Sep 29, 2016 13:41

Forb wrote:we will see how low RR mincers work vs 900 range see hidden, getting PA + CD on 100% of fights vs assassins is too much imo

NAg videos are awsome, bu remember its new RAs on that video, wich mean 5 min purge vs debuff potions

As I said, you dont join the stealthwars if you are soloing as a Minstrel. Even without 900 range see hidden minstrels always had ****** stealth due to speccing 50 instruments and at least 29 weapons. As a solo mincer with endu pots, youy can pick every single one of your fights. Just charm some ora pet, run around, send ora pets on soloers leaving the keep etc, and spam /laugh because your pet will kill the enemy without you doing anything.

And even if a SB lands PA on you and you are quick enough you can insta stun them and try mezzing. If they land stunstyle well.. then you got a problem ;)

But yeah.. See Hidden is garbage and destroys all archer classes and kills the option to stealth around as a mincer. Chosing 1.65 as the desired version was just a terrible idea and will drive many people away. I was superhyped for uth rerelease, but then realized how freaking awkward and terribly thought out classic was. So many obvious flaws and imbalances its crazy. Some classes literaly have to use 3 buttons and rek people while other classes need rr6+, 2qbars, tons of active RAs to at least be able to kill anything.

Sry, im going offtopic. I better stop here. :P

Return to Minstrel