Str/Con Debuff Poison

OGCFTW
Warder

Postby OGCFTW » Jun 02, 2016 20:27

Howdy folks!

I'm wondering how the str/con debuff poison will function at this patch level. Theoretically, if you hit someone for Perf for, say, 400 damage with a str/con debuff on your weapon, the str/con debuff (lets say that reduces 400HP via con debuff), essentially it's a waste of a poison. The target's HP is reduced via damage to their now-maximum HP, and it would be more effective to hit with a disease or DoT instead.

Obviously it's nice to have the str/con debuff in the event the IP or find heals, but for a straight 1v1 it seems like str/con would not be an opening poison.

Any thoughts?

Thalien
Phoenix Knight

Postby Thalien » Jun 04, 2016 08:48

It's been a while but when i played ns i always opened with str/con debuff cause the debuff was the thing that hits first. At least that's what i remember.
Fabienne - Blademaster
Junia - Bard
Audrina - Ench
-----
Zoe - Sorc
Stella - Pala
Devon - Scout

OGCFTW
Warder

Postby OGCFTW » Jun 09, 2016 18:26

IIRC poisons act as a proc. Procs require a weapon to strike before being triggered. In the past I always played with disease and DoTs on Perf/BS due to the str/con debuff doing relatively nothing.

shade
Eagle Knight

Postby shade » Jun 09, 2016 19:24

Damage hits first. But it's still ok to put str/con debuff on main hand vs. tanks, if you fail to perform PA/BS, you will still do 400 "damage" before possible off-hand hit and off-hand DoT.

Vs casters and healers its a little different, there you might want to priorize dot, disease or snare.
“DAOC is not about what you can log. It's about what you can play :> ”

Uthgard 1.0: <Die Lettanten> Ivia - 8L8 Nightshade - Lone Enforcer since 8L1.
Uthgard 2.0: <Illuminated Stormriders> Oxy - Hero; Ivia - Nightshade.

OGCFTW
Warder

Postby OGCFTW » Jun 09, 2016 20:44

Good input. Thanks, Shade!

Autarch
Gryphon Knight

Postby Autarch » Jun 10, 2016 00:15

So if you use dot+snare/disease, you should swap to str/con debuff after that, then regulary swap dot again and again

pirhana7
Myrmidon

Postby pirhana7 » Jan 04, 2017 02:07

Autarch wrote:So if you use dot+snare/disease, you should swap to str/con debuff after that, then regulary swap dot again and again

IMO disease's small snare was always good enough to keep the target from getting away so i never really saw a need for snare poison

TheRealDexis
Guardian

Postby TheRealDexis » Jan 15, 2017 18:52

OGCFTW wrote:Howdy folks!

I'm wondering how the str/con debuff poison will function at this patch level. Theoretically, if you hit someone for Perf for, say, 400 damage with a str/con debuff on your weapon, the str/con debuff (lets say that reduces 400HP via con debuff), essentially it's a waste of a poison. The target's HP is reduced via damage to their now-maximum HP, and it would be more effective to hit with a disease or DoT instead.

Obviously it's nice to have the str/con debuff in the event the IP or find heals, but for a straight 1v1 it seems like str/con would not be an opening poison.

Any thoughts?

You are still technically reducing their hit point pool by 400 damage, its just that the pool gets smaller, so the health bar goes back up, but they still lose the 400 hp.

I always open with str/con, always have. Its the most important ability that assassins have and is needed to win fights.

Caldrian
Gryphon Knight

Postby Caldrian » Jan 17, 2017 11:13

enemy has 1400 hp, you perf for 400, he now has 1000/1400, con debuff for 400 is applied, he now has 1000/1000 (debuff negated)

enemy has 1400 hp, you miss your perf angle and hit for 80, he now has 1320/1400, con debuff for 400 is applied, he now has 1000/1000 (320 dmg from debuff)

so its situational, whenever you expect your first hit to do big time damage, con debuff becomes useless, but vs other stealthers you oftentimes wont get off perf and then its kinda good... also it is STR debuff as well, which is practially required vs other melees, especially vs sbs (even moreso when they will run with str/con charge)

dipndots
Warder

Postby dipndots » Feb 03, 2017 04:20

people always forget about the str component of str/con poison. it absolutely wrecks any opponent who doesn't use a dex only weapon.

that being said, i don't open with str/con. i always open with snare/disease since it makes creeping death easier to land, then swap in str/con and lifebane.

Return to Infiltrator