Staff weapon speed

Takeahnase
Guardian

Postby Takeahnase » Jun 02, 2017 23:25

I just want to confirm - the 3.0 spd quarterstaff only goes up to level 46 (duskwood quarterstaff), and there are no other 3.0 spd quarterstaffs at higher levels which are usable by a friar. Is this correct? There is a 3.0 spd magus staff, but I'm not sure if I can equip it.

Thanks!

Onze
Warder

Postby Onze » Jun 03, 2017 08:46

You can equip a magus staff

Takeahnase
Guardian

Postby Takeahnase » Jun 03, 2017 15:08

https://www2.uthgard.net/tracker/issue/ ... _by_Friars

Well, I probably could have done some more research before posting this. It looks like friars can't use the magus staff, and never will be able to. That's a bummer because 3.0 speed is pretty awesome.

Staff damage isn't really that good to begin with, so I wonder if it would be worth just using the lvl 46 15.0 dps quarter staff. For me, a faster swing speed lets me get my positional off easier in a fight, and would increase my proc chance. I mainly plan to pve with the friar though.

Colqhoun
Guardian

Postby Colqhoun » Jun 04, 2017 05:26

Using anything but the heavy shod staff (5.5 spd) in PVP (even PVE IMO) would be a very bad idea. You'd be essentially gimping your character by your own free will with nonsense like "wanting to land positionals easier and more procs". What positionals? Friar's Friend? If there's a line of melees I suppose it could be possible, though you'd probably be better off healing your ally because most tank trains have stun/snare on their target already. Friars are very poor peelers. Pop your red haste, spam boon, and beat down soft/overextended targets or assist the train.

Saying staff damage is not that good to begin with is also just perpetuating a bunch of nonsense. It is no wonder there are no PVP friars.

Coldstone
Warder

Postby Coldstone » Jun 25, 2017 16:24

i know it´s late, but you could take this staff into your temp (jarl omarr dodens drop)

Crimpsta
Guardian

Postby Crimpsta » Apr 02, 2018 14:51

Hello, just started a friar. Following on from this thread. Is a slower weapon speed best for a friar?

I assume this is down to the slower weapon higher hit damage and then with buffs and haste it would still make it fairly fast attacking?

Any response and information would be appreciated

Thanks

Abydos
Game Master
Game Master

Postby Abydos » Apr 02, 2018 16:21

Before anyone gets their hopes up, that stuff is and should be 95% quality. All future drops are 95%. Just keep that in mind.

hazelhimself
Gryphon Knight

Postby hazelhimself » Apr 04, 2018 21:28

Crimpsta wrote:Hello, just started a friar. Following on from this thread. Is a slower weapon speed best for a friar?

I assume this is down to the slower weapon higher hit damage and then with buffs and haste it would still make it fairly fast attacking?

Any response and information would be appreciated

Thanks

the exact staff speed is a matter of taste, spec and role in your group.

imo the jarl staff (even if you can get your hands on an old 100% qua drop) is way way too fast. 3.0 isnt needed, even if you are just using it for rupting purposes.

in the end you got the following (main) factors

fast staff pros:
more reliable rupt
technically easier chains (mechanically harder), better peelerino
more effective vs. pbt

slow staff pros:
more burst potential
less endo useage
mechanically easier to play and therefore higher potential for maxing dps vs non-pbt target
less risk to waste potential when using haste effects. (please do the math before buying staves. its worth it)

i PERSONALLY see more value in higher burst dmg tbh (im using 2 staves but i prefer using the 5.0 one) because well...in rvr burst is king. its quite easy to stick on a target, spam styles and rupt with taunt inbetween your slow staffhits. thats my personal playstyle tho. if the meta shifts and high performance alb grps (lel) start to include friar its probably gonna be a high rej spec with red resists and very low staff. in that case a fast staff is ofc more valuable because well...you only want to rupt and spam sidesnares.

that said: im by no means an expert buuuut considering the amount of RR5+ friars (without checking...i think theres how many? 5, maybe 6 total? shoutout to oza, rivest and noflex) its probably the best advice ull get for quite a while.

as always: justmy.02

bonustip: note that (since many people still get that wrong) proc rate is affected by weapon speed. so fast weapons do not proc more often than slow ones. actually the higher proc chance on a slow weapon further increases its burst potential.

Pyru
Warder

Postby Pyru » Apr 05, 2018 07:39

I prefer to roll with both a 4.2 and a 5.5

With 4.2 and red haste your swing speed should be around 1.6, just enough past the cap of 1.5

I like to run 5.5 On inc when you pop haste, then as haste starts to flash and go away swap to 4.2
Noflex

Requin
Eagle Knight

Postby Requin » Apr 05, 2018 12:37

Reminder to Self: Quality over Quantity, what is the Value here?

hazelhimself
Gryphon Knight

Postby hazelhimself » Apr 05, 2018 22:39

Requin wrote:http://camelot.allakhazam.com/item.html?citem=5496
Around 5pp you can get one

decent i guess for low staff specs.

also i miss your old avatar.

Ardri
Eagle Knight

Postby Ardri » Apr 08, 2018 06:35

hazelhimself wrote:
Requin wrote:http://camelot.allakhazam.com/item.html?citem=5496