Remove guard tasks - reason inside

Talk about your RvR experience here
pweet
Lion Knight

Postby pweet » May 04, 2012 16:30

haha rp pl ;) u get max 5k/h from solo tasks :idea:
the only problem with guard tasks is, that only chars with climbing walls ability can do them efficiently and that is one of the reasons why uthgard has that many stealthers.
proper guard placement would be a quick fix so everyone can profit from solo guard tasks, since atm u can just shoot a few rangers on top.

RonELuvv
Alerion Knight

Postby RonELuvv » May 04, 2012 18:44

Hendak wrote:Ron why are you so hellbent on wanting people to play "your" way?

I could care less if people play "my" way. People made an argument about tasks, I made my suggestion. Its that simple. What bothers me is when people state that i'm "hellbent" on people playing "my" way, when if you knew anything about me you would know I am trying to help come up with a solution to help all out.

Hendak wrote:A few snippets from your recent posts, and I HATE people who do this but felt it somewhat important:

RonELuvv - Either way, they need to make it so people that are higher RR's actually do something besides just tasks.

So people under a certain RR are free to task but higher RR need to do something else? Scary comment.

Exactly. What is wrong with this? Also, my solution says that even high RR can continue to do them, but it will be at a diminshed return. Sorry I scared you... oO

Hendak wrote:RonELuvv- Also, you are right, those taskers are usually very easy to kill and worth alot of RP's because of their high RR. The reason they are easy is because all they know how to do is sneak up to a scout/ranger/hunter npc and kill a PvE mob. They never learned how to play their toon against other actual players.

Blanket statement and smarten up. Some of the people I have tasked with played 4-8 years on live, myself included, in active guilds with active 8man crews and made very high RR strictly RvRing (pre-ToA ftw btw), so saying something like that is wrong and sad.

HAHAHAHAH! I hear this same BS every day. "I played on live and I had an 11L+ (insert toon) and ran with the best guild ever.." That statement is usually preceded before said players gets his rear end kicked by a player 10+ RR's below him. Myself and 99% of the rest of this server could care less what you or anyone else did on live. Flat out, I dont believe it, and on top of that, this isnt live. So comparisons to what you did on live matter not to me. (FYI, I played on live as well, from inception threw Catacombs. Whoopie for me!!)

Hendak wrote:RonELuvv- You also say to kill them, but where? All 3 realms have HUGE open spaces w/ multiple keeps. Unless your guild owns the keep they are tasking on, you will more then likely never know sombody is tasking it.

You do know that the Uthgard Herald accurately shows keeps lit up when people are there killing guards yes? It was added last year and more and more people actually use it. Did you never play the live servers, it was an in-game feature when NF was released iirc.

I know that the Uthgard Helad accurately shows keeps WHEN ITS WORKING!! As I am posting this I pulled it up and geuss what? I could only see half the map. That is this way 85% of the time. For the 15% of the time it is working I would have you refer to Zai's post about this. Its not like I can magically appear at said keep. I have to port, then have to run to whatever keep it is, and I have to do all of this before an assasin/minstril kills 5 archers and suicides. Apparently you dont RvR much here do you? You do realise we dont have ports as we did on NF and we dont have in game warmap. We have to alt tab to see the map or run 2 computers.

Hendak wrote:You fail to accept and realize that small man or 8man RvR is nothing like it is on live or for Euro primtime. It is fairly non-existent, or you roam for 30minutes killing nothing or worse... a solo or duo. It's not fun and people log due to sheer boredom. I am glad to RvR personally, and it is my preference but when there is nothing doing tasking helps people, groups and guilds stay online and gain rps when RvR isn't happening.

You fail to understand that unlike you, I actually do RvR during American Primetime, I have been on this server for over 2 years, and everything you talk about I have done a long time ago. Also, please tell me in ANY of my statements where I said they should remove tasking? I am all for tasking in the ways in which you talk about above. Tasking when its slow or when your lower RR and need to get higher RR to compete is perfectly fine and I'm all for it. Its when people avoid PvP at all costs only to do tasks. Then even when they do achieve a high enough RR to compete they still continue to task.

There is many ways around this problem. Decrease values of tasks at higher RR's. Make longer times for getting new missions for higher RR's. Change group gaurd tasks to keep take tasks. Maybe make a limit on the amount of tasks any one player can do in a 24 hour period. All of these could work and would still allow for people to earn rp's in different ways then camping AMG or roaming Emain or the other frontiers.

I would also like to add that what Trishin said is 100% accurate. The tasks that people are abusing NEVER existed on live during these patch settings.
Zacknafein Do'Urden- lvl 50 Ranger- 10L1
Jarlaxle Baerne- lvl 50 Blademaster- 5L8
Marshal Mathers- lvl 50 Bard- 3L8
Neighborhoodfriendl AlchemistbotSuperwarden- lvl 36 Warden- 2L2
Barrabus TheGray- lvl 6 Nightshade- 1L0

Zacknamid SorryaboutkillinguonHib- lvl 50 Hunter- 8L1
Cadderrly Bonaduce- lvl 50 Friar- 4L2

Panchos
Myrmidon

Postby Panchos » May 04, 2012 23:33

large sum of coins? not rps???????

give me a break

This server is more self destructive towards casual RVR than the New York Knicks towards winning basketball games.

Finalement
Eagle Knight

Postby Finalement » May 05, 2012 00:14

Panchos wrote:large sum of coins? not rps???????

give me a break

This server is more self destructive towards casual RVR than the New York Knicks towards winning basketball games.

Awesome :D
And so true :D

Blue
Developer
Developer

Postby Blue » May 05, 2012 01:02

On the other side it will be whined about players not being able to compete without RR5+. Regardless how we decide, it will give complains. Always.

Didn't you think about that a player fresh from Thidranki most propably will reroll if the only option is to go into RvR as RR4 and get killed over and over? What if there is no RvR (take US times) but that player wants to advance in some way? Even a little bit? The current task system is more or less a bridge for players who wouldn't at all play in the frontiers and rather grow up the next twink.

Whats wrong with these guys to get to RR6? Its ok, eventually they will get the courage and enter big RvR and don't reroll again to play in limited BG's. It's not that RR6 is something special but if that player feels better with it and finally goes into real RvR I wouldn't complain.

PS: Please stop with stupid comments like the ones above this post which add nothing constructive to this thread/discussion.
PSS: I'm currently neutral on guard tasks but see it as filler in low population times. Its discussable due to 1.69 target.
It's done when it's done. Thanks for your patience.
Every bug gets fixed. Sooner or later.

"It is an inescapable law of nature that the amount of satisfaction one gains from achieving something
is related to how hard it is and easy things can only elicit a fleeting superficial sort of pleasure."

Blue says, "you used macro tools or macro keyboard"
Pala says, "i am disabled. and i have a mechanic left hand that can be programed. its hard to play woith one hand"

[Appeal] Bxxxxxxxx: "why is RA first aid cann man i stealth use and not unstealth cann man ra if man use unstealth ?????????"
BannedUser: "i was not using automate game action my hand was fall on keyboard during i was sleep .... i was completly fall on keyboard ..."

Finalement
Eagle Knight

Postby Finalement » May 05, 2012 02:38

Blue wrote:...

Mostly true.

The thing the guys (and girls) here complain about the most is that some do Tasks even if they are rr8+ (which is a RR where you can compete pretty well with others!)

Good solutions where given, like reduce RP-reward with higher RR.

Guard tasks are imo the perfect way to get SOME RR to compete with others, but the higher the RR, the less RPs they should give.

The reason is obvious, maingoal is RvR and Tasks are no RvR (random and rare meetings with other taskers excluded).

SO th best solution would be a RP sink with increasing RR (starting at rr5 with 100 rps less, till rr10(?) with 1000 RPs less or sth like that.

Greez

(Was this constructive enough? ^-^)

Blue
Developer
Developer

Postby Blue » May 05, 2012 02:53

Then the easiest solution is RR cap for guard tasks. Problem gone and the "bridge" still working.

Your proposal with lowering RP rewards is also possible and makes sense. In the XP system its the question of difficulty how much XP you will get. If you kill green ones you dont get much reward. Same could be applied to guard tasks with higher RR.
It's done when it's done. Thanks for your patience.
Every bug gets fixed. Sooner or later.

"It is an inescapable law of nature that the amount of satisfaction one gains from achieving something
is related to how hard it is and easy things can only elicit a fleeting superficial sort of pleasure."

Blue says, "you used macro tools or macro keyboard"
Pala says, "i am disabled. and i have a mechanic left hand that can be programed. its hard to play woith one hand"

[Appeal] Bxxxxxxxx: "why is RA first aid cann man i stealth use and not unstealth cann man ra if man use unstealth ?????????"
BannedUser: "i was not using automate game action my hand was fall on keyboard during i was sleep .... i was completly fall on keyboard ..."

Skarz
Gryphon Knight

Postby Skarz » May 05, 2012 03:19

blue, uthgard obviously has good intentions regarding task and what u say is all true. but what if theres ppl who dnt feel comfortable at rr6. they go rr10. or for example a vw i know who is rr11+ and still dnt rvr. but take first place on herald. whats to be done about that. its always 1 who ruins it for others and i do think like many others something needs to be done.

trist mentioned defending a keep against a tasker. i know of 1 way to do so and that is increase the guards kill requirements to the point of awaiting respawn giving enough time for some not nesceceraly miles away but within a reasonable distance to attempt a defence.

BobtheSkelly
Myrmidon

Postby BobtheSkelly » May 05, 2012 07:34

Figured I would voice my opinion on this topic as it does pertain to me as an american player.

Bottom line is realm rank in general is just an indication of how long a particular player has put into the game, not skill or anything else. So why is it such a big deal for everyone QQing about someone getting RR6 9 11 20 or whatever else they want to do by guard tasks? Does it make you feel inadequate that your realm rank is just time as well? Anyone who does this has their reasons, but they are playing the game and are available to kill no matter how hard you think it is to kill them, end of story. Would you rather these steathers sit at amg where you can't find and kill them anyway?

I also can say from first hand experience that when we run around killing taskers it's quite entertaining. Sure you come up empty sometimes, but again how is that different from any other activity which gives realm points? If you are actively in any of the main keep areas, and trying to catch them, you will at least sometimes catch them. If you don't want to put in the effort to kill them that is your loss, but don't take away from the people that do enjoy this part of the game on both sides of the equation.

Only suggestion I would have would be to change the layout of guard placement, LOS, etc., but I don't know if this is even possible really. Maybe even have the rangers be able to move? Would force a bit more strategic planning on the taskers part.
ImageImage

Phileas
Gryphon Knight

Postby Phileas » May 05, 2012 07:53

Blue wrote:Didn't you think about that a player fresh from Thidranki most propably will reroll if the only option is to go into RvR as RR4 and get killed over and over? What if there is no RvR (take US times) but that player wants to advance in some way? Even a little bit? The current task system is more or less a bridge for players who wouldn't at all play in the frontiers and rather grow up the next twink.

Whats wrong with these guys to get to RR6? Its ok, eventually they will get the courage and enter big RvR and don't reroll again to play in limited BG's. It's not that RR6 is something special but if that player feels better with it and finally goes into real RvR I wouldn't complain.

Actually, the best way to make it possible for them doing that is giving an easier way of finding out where inc is. Since most 8v8 high rr groups run in emain anyways, there's lower RR or less experienced groups in HW and OG. The problem is: you can't really find them.
Sure, you can knock on a keep but when it isn't claimed: bad luck,
when the guild who claimed it isn't on: bad luck

and so on

and Ron mentioned my biggest problem with the current setup: You get the message that someone is attacking this or that keep but you're in the wrong zone, so you either wipe or have to port (costs you a few minutes) buff up again, run to the keep and wooosh, after you spend 15 minutes getting to the place, very surprisingly your enemy died a horrible death of boredom and already went somewhere else... everything just takes too damn long!

Thalien
Phoenix Knight

Postby Thalien » May 05, 2012 08:10

I don't get why you care about it at all.

Why does someone ruin it for others when he does guard tasks?

Who cares if hes No1 vw and don't do rvr. It's just a list.

If people wanan do boring guardtasks to get some rr or even prefer them over real rvr then why not?

Like it was said you don't get much rps/h by doing guardtask and can get way more and faster and with more fun rps with real rvr.
Fabienne - Blademaster
Junia - Bard
Audrina - Ench
-----
Zoe - Sorc
Stella - Pala
Devon - Scout

Fabulabelle
Eagle Knight

Postby Fabulabelle » May 05, 2012 11:38

Thalien wrote:I don't get why you care about it at all.

Totally agree!!
By removing guard task, it will not be an improvement of the situation, but only taking something some people like away...
If you don't like guard task, just don't do. Let them for people that like it.
Imagine that someone create a valuable thread to remove something not really important but that you like to do a lot, without annoying other players? what will be you reaction??
And i'm saying that with neutral position cause I'm not a hard guard tasker.

Skalnora
Warder

Postby Skalnora » May 05, 2012 14:47

He has 72 kills....same number of fair fights how 99% of all high RR rangers here......what's the problem? :gaga:

@Timion: take a fg stealth, go to the true RvR area called Emain and gank all solos...that is the one and only glorious way to be accepted in their high skilled RvR stealth war. But listen, at rr10+ you have to do RvR as a solo hero. Don't be afraid, you will get a lot of winning buttons.

Runental
Phoenix Knight

Postby Runental » May 05, 2012 17:37

Skalnora wrote: But listen, at rr10+ you have to do RvR as a solo hero. Don't be afraid, you will get a lot of winning buttons.

hehe, so true :lol:
ONE a Shaman solo Video
TWO a Shaman solo Video

Banedor
Warder

Postby Banedor » May 07, 2012 13:19

Thalien wrote:I don't get why you care about it at all.

If people wanan do boring guardtasks to get some rr or even prefer them over real rvr then why not?

Like it was said you don't get much rps/h by doing guardtask and can get way more and faster and with more fun rps with real rvr.

QFE and QFT!

All that will happen is the player base will dwindle maybe not a noticeable amount but I'm sure some will get frustrated by the editing of guard tasks to limit/reduce it will only cause them to leave and I'm sure some of you will be like tough ****** but we're trying to build a community here I don't see why the guard tasks is such a big deal within the community and causing such massive QQ over 5k RPS an HOUR HOUR HOUR.

Half the time emain is full of stealthers at the mile gates that it makes it annoying going to get to trained by stealth groups or people QQ when you add on fights or people add on your fights not to mention getting zerged and than having to wait to port back out, tasking is a relatively slow and easy alternative than dealing with at times the retarded QQers in emain. I know I get tired of emain at times and instead of spending 3 hours in emain listening to the crying of the things I stated above I should have the option to task on guards RR11 or 4.

It just seems like people want to force the taskers into emain so it's easier for the mile gate campers to get more action. I don't see the fun in that, at this point I'm surprised everyone isn't talking about just making the RvR frontiers smaller to increase action hell just make emain the only RvR zone is what it seems like everyone that is against tasking is about. Maybe that was a big too much and sarcastic but touching the guard tasks and hindering it is only going to drive people away either from Uthgard entirely or to alts in the BGs and less RvR for the 50s overall. I know at high RR it gets frustrating hiking to emain and having to port back after a zerg or stealth group or someone just adding in on you when you get a 1v1 that if the guard tasks were to be hinderd for the higher RR I don't see the incentive to continue him otherwise I'll play him for an hour in emain get annoyed and tired of wasting my playing time on running and waiting for ports that I'll just go to an alt to enjoy my playing time.

PreviousNext

Return to Realm versus Realm